Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Venture: I am reading your Chevy Venture electric

Customer Question

I am reading your Chevy Venture electric post. I have a 2004 that initially didn't start, but it jump started. This repeated until it no longer jump starts. I have measured the r on the starter fuse links, tested starter, have 12.5V from batt. When I try to crank it or turn headlights on dash dims and radio clock resets, and batt will diminish. I changed starter relay.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry for the long waitso this engine will not physically crank over correct ?and not even a jump start will help it crank over ?when holding the key to CRANK position will the purple wire show 12 volts every time you hold the key to CRANK at the starter solenoid ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It will no longer crank. I can jump it and it will not crank. 12 volts at solenoid when key on start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought another starter AND had the old one tested, both are good.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok if you try to jump the starter solenoid right at the starter by jumping the small purple wire stud to the big battery cable stud and it will NOT crank over our issue is going to be narrowed down too a bad ground connection at the engine from the big negative battery cable or the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter or the connections at the battery being dirty or badthe best action to take since the starter tested good and you have 12 at the purple wire when you hold the key to crank is to remove both battery cables and have the battery tested for volts and amps and for any bad cellsany local auto parts store will test the battery for all 3 tests for freeif by chance the battery tests good for all 3 then sand down both battery cable end with sandpaper or a scotch pan and reconnect the battery cablesif by chance it still will not crank over at all the issue is a bad negative or possible battery cable since the starter is brand new
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have had the battery tested for bad cells. Battery is good. Have sanded and wire brushed every ground and battery connection and retightened.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have also checked r on both battery cables.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
this has a brand new starter in it and 12 volts at the purple wire at the starter solenoid when the key is held to crank position ?does the starter make any noise at all when you try to crank it ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I should cross the purple wire connection to the positive coming to the starter?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes with the key ON see if you jump the purple wire stud at the solenoid to the big power wire at the solenoid and see if it will crank over and start up
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I jumped the two connections and same result. click but no crank. Here's the piece of info I hope will tell you what is wrong. This time I retested the purple wire in all key positions. Off=0Volts On=0V and start only .6V. I used the probe on my multimeter with the ground being the body ground above the battery. I then touched the red positive probe on the purple connection on the starter. The battery went all the way down to 9.3V.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
so physically jumping those 2 studs at the starter solenoid the starter just clicked ?if you put a breaker bar and socket on the front of the engine lower center crank bolt with a socket can you turn the engine over clockwise by hand ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. And sorry I forgot to tell you that I can hand turn the engine. It is free. Shouldn't the purple be 12V to the starter when turning key to "Start"?
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok goodyes when you hold the key to crank position the purple wire should be 12 voltsif you pull out the starter relay with the key ON do 2 out of the 4 terminals where the relay plugs into show 12 volts ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, starter relay socket. The larger red wire is 12.5V in OFF and 12.5 in Start. The this pink wire is 0V in Off and 12.5V in Start. The Purple was 0V in both positions. And the yellow/black was .2V in off and 0V in Start.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if you jump the big red to the purple will the engine crank ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just verifying. Use a jumper inside the relay socket in the Start key position?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
With key in Start position? Sorry
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
with the key ON yes then jump the relay socket red to purplewill it crank over ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It just clicked. No turn over. With key off and on= same.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok our issue HAS to be the big power wire from the battery to the starter or the negative battery cable from the battery to the engine or a bad batteryif it just clicks and the engine is not locked up with a brand new starter in this and you jump it right at the starter solenoid and it will not crank over there has to be not enough volts or amps to the starter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The resistance on the big power wire and the ground wire shows no disconnect. I will take the grounding off of the block again and re-clean and re-tighten. But shouldn't I be able to just run a resistance test to see if it has connection? I can clean a spot on the engine block and touch the black batter cable(with batt disconnected). If I get a 9.5 ohm reading, that shows I have solid engine grounding all the way to the battery?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
And, why when we try to start does the battery drain? It resets the radio every time.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
that is another sign there is a big power loss when you load the circuit trying to crank if it resets the radio all power was lost to the radio if it resetsif you have a battery charger or jumper cables connect the power lead to the big battery wire stud at the starter then connect the ground lead to a good ground on the enginewill it then crank over ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I completely took apart the grounding points one-by-one. There are two bellhousing bolts that have grounds. I took the stud out of the block and wire brushed it on my bench. I also wired the wire connector ends. I also took the body ground apart and did same. Everything was shiny when I put back together. I took the black and red battery terminals apart and wired as did the battery also. No value change on anything. No crank. Put the red end of my charger on positve post on starter won't crank.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sidenote: I can charge battery using ground lug on bellhousing and positive terminal.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
ok lets see if another expert has any ideas
hang on another expert will reply back to you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am so confused. Now when the key is On, the battery idiot light is flashing. AND the solenoid is no longer clicking.....I've done something, by cleaning the grounds, that is effecting the problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am going to take the new starter off and put the old one that tested good back on. I will make sure every connection, including the block to starter, is clean and shiny before reconnecting.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will also test fuses again since solenoid not clicking.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuses OK. I also looked inside PCM for any obvious burnt or broken leads.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello? Anybody.