Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I have a 97 Lumina that timing cover gasket was

Customer Question

hello i have a 97 Lumina that timing cover gasket was leaking..i got cover off no issues but rubber pan gasket on lower end of cover seems to be stretched and is to long to fit in groove..has anyone cut rubber gasket flush and put a bead of RTV or Rightstuff
in its place..seems like a better option then trying to remove pan and replace gasket
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.I will do my best to assist youyes,,you can cut it and use black rtv and it will seal and not leak
be generous with the rtv
and,be sure to let it dry well before stating it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
should i use black, grey, or right stuff ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
and should i leave a little bit of the rubber gasket incase it recedes or just cut flush with block and pan
use black rtv
i would glue the gasket to it with the rtv and use it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok i dont have a gasket its a rubber square seal type thats in a groove in pan mine is now to streched to fit in groove.. my thought was to cut rubber gasket off on front of pan and leave about and 1/8 inch or so in case rubber tried to recede back some and use a bead of RTV like use between intake and block
yes,,i understand
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so does that sound like a good plan
it will work,,just make sure you have all the oil off of it[maybe clean with carb cleaner or starting fluid]after it dries,,i think it will hold and be fine
well,ive got to tell you,,installing new gaskets would be what to do...but,yes,i think it will hold and be fine
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks will let you know..THANKS for insights
you are very welcome..again,get it clean and dry before adding the rtvIf you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.