BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevy s-10: I just recharged the ac system but still only hot

Customer Question

I just recharged the ac system but still only hot air comes from vents. compressor clutch spins . I used ac pro kit and filled system to the green on the gauge, as instructions said. 1996 chevy s-10 four cyl. Ac pulls down engine rpm when turned on. can it be saved?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Hello,my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me if the a/c accumulator on the passenger side of the fire wall gets cold when the clutch is engaged? It looks like a large metal cylinder.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it does not get cold. All of the hoses and pipes in the system get pretty hot. The clutch spins constantly when the AC switch is on. It does not kick on and off repeatedly and there is no clicking sound when or if it engages. The system was empty before I recharged it with one and one half cans yesterday. I had to replace the Schrader valve to get it to take in the refridgerant in the low side port.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. If it had no refrigerant in it then that means that it had air in it. You cannot have any air in the a/c system if you want it to work correctly. You need to use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system and remove all of the air. Once you pull a vacuum you can add the refrigerant and it may be fine. If not then you may have a metering tube issue, but it does sound like it is just air in the system.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Bobby, I think you are right about the air. I`ll have it vacuumed and see what happens. Thanks for your help. Ed.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
No problem Ed. Let me know if you need more help.