Arench
Arench, Master Technician
Experience:  30-years experience auto and truck repair.
13630601

Chevrolet Cavalier: my 2003 manual trani Cavalier stalls when

Customer Question

my 2003 manual trani Cavalier stalls when stopping, (not running and driving).We have replaced the MAP sensor, the throttle position sensor and the fuel pump. None of these things helped. We are out of ideas. Any thoughts?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
Good morning and thanks for your patience. My name is ***** ***** I will advise you on this issue. Regardless of the car make whenever I have a poor idle or stalling I always begin with a thorough throttle body cleaning. This alone fixes many cars.A bad crankshaft sensor that glitches can also cause stalling.I would clean the throttle body first as that is easier and cheaper.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

This has been an issue for a while. The car stalls more when the car warms up, and in hot weather. It very rarely stalls while stopping when it is cold or rainy.

I have seen forums that have many complaints with the same issue and vehicle, and I'm not sure why no one has a good solution for this besides throwing parts at it and guessing...

I was hoping an expert would know why this happens to these cars.

Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
All that I can offer you via computer is the benefit of my experience. Stalling is a common complaint on many cars and trucks and the procedures indicated have a very high success rate.There can be many probable causes for the same symptom on cars. Sometimes the process of elimination is the only approach. I'm sorry that I am unable to change that fact. The reason I have devoted my career to diagnosis is that every problem on every car does not have a concrete resolution. Most times diagnosis to some degree is needed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It has been put on a computer and does not pull any codes.

Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
I'm not surprised. There is no means for a car's onboard diagnostic routine to detect carbon buildup on a throttle plate and if a sensor glitches the fault is so short in duration that the component monitor does not recognize the fault.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My husband has not had time after work to try this yet. Weather permitting we are shooting for today. Hopefully we have a winner.

Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
God I hope so. I'm pulling for you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He has not had time to look at my car yet, as soon as we know how helpful the "answer" is we will leave our feedback for you.

Expert:  Arench replied 2 years ago.
Okay, no trouble, good luck. I just try to get the last word in here because it clears the question off my calendar temporarily.