Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Scotts dale: Trouble with my 84 350 with lock up

Customer Question
Trouble with my 84...
Trouble with my 84 350 with lock up transmission works for awhile then feels like it goes into neutral shut truck off goes maybe 50 feet does it again
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
7/1/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
when this happens it has no drive gears at all ?before you shut it off at a stop will reverse work ?
Nothing works until I shut it off and this is second trany other one did same thing
2WD or 4X4 ?
2 wd
this is very odd with 2 transmissions doing the same thingas by default there should always be a forward gear no matter what happens with the shift solenoidcan you make sure the fluid is full and if it is before you shut off this truck and its acting up can you see if reverse works and also see if the drive shaft is turning out of the back of the transmission when this is acting up ?
Tried un hooking wires changed oil and filter lots of vacuum
And lose all gears
This one has me beat
if it has no reverse when this happens and the drive shaft is not spinning out of the rear of the transmission when this is acting up there has to be some kind of internal transmission failure going onlike i said by default it should always have a forward gear and reverse no matter whatwhen it does not have reverse and a forward gear it is usually a sign of the forward sprag /one way clutch failure or possibly the pump or converterto narrow this down any more we need to connect a pressure gauge to the test port on the transmission and see what we have for pressure when it will not moveif the pressure is good then it is a forward sprag or converter failure
there are rare times we have seen another used transmission do the same thing
the only other " outside the box " issue that can cause very odd problems like this are a restricted or plugged transmission cooler not allowing the fluid to flow enough and causing a neutral out so to due to low or no line pressureyour best bet is a pressure test and also have the cooler tested for flow before you go through removing the transmission again
I have it on jack stands had pressure on lines then lost it when truck warmed up seems weird it's a good tyranny u say maybe torc if it's a none lock up torc would that do it
Tran goes directly to rad had rad just cleaned by rad shop
no lock or lock up it should never loose a forward gear and reverseif you see it loosing pressure when acting up then the issue is the pump or a restricted coolerwith a bad sprag or converter it would not loose pressure
Seems weird two tranys would do this same thing and this tranny is marked good right on it
i agree with youbut no matter what that transmission is loosing line pressure and it should never loose pressure unless the cooler or the pump is failing if the fluid is filled up
Could it be servo if snap ring broke
no
it still should have forward and reverse
and a servo would not cause the pressure to drop to 0
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician