BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet 2500: I have a 2002 chevy pu truck with 6.0 engine

Customer Question

I have a 2002 chevy pu truck with 6.0 engine it starts fine when cold but sometimes when it is hot it will turn over fine but will not start no sputter or anything just turns over, after a few stimes just turning it over tried holding gas to floor and turn over still nothing but it turns over. there is not a alarm system or remote stqart or anything like that, the only add on there is a electric brake box for pulling trailer
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. The truck has a factory security system on it. Can you tell me if the security light is illuminated on the dash when cranking the engine and it does not start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am not sure, there is a yellow light in the dash that almost looks like a tube in the upper right of the panel it stays on that is the only light that stays on I am not sure what the light is for
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Does the light have a lock it key on it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no it is a circle and the top 2/3 are black and the bottom is yellow and there is a slim rectangle running diaganol with a like a lock top on it but does not look like a lock cannot find anything in manuel about it except possible something to do with towing there ais a electric brack,not being used ar timne, Also the airbag light stays on, when I was trying to start it I remember the gas gauge went all the way up and did not come down 1/2 tank, The vehicle did start right up this morning but would like to fix as it happens at incon cienent times, I have looked at stuff on internet and it looks like it must be the ignition switch but would like 2nd opinion as it is a 161 dollar part. thanks
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. It does sound like either a failing ignition switch or a failing crank sensor. Both are common on this truck and will cause this. If you have a voltage meter I can tell you how to test the ignition switch. If you do not have the tools to test this then I would replace the crank sensor first as it is by far the most common issue.