Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician
50714430

Chevrolet Corvette: ,, 2005 corvette....NO FOBS detected.

Customer Question

HI,, 2005 corvette....NO FOBS detected. the fobs would not open door but would beep horn. I looked in manual and followed instructions open trunk, turn key 5 times, press acc button and wait 10 min. press ass wait 10 min, and a third time....insert fob in slot in glove compartment ..hit acc button.....hear ticking for about 30 sec...then nothing...no sign of power in vehicle
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.
When you press the start button, do you hear one click or hear multiple clicks rapidly from behind the dash area?
Thanks
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
multiple clicks
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Have you checked battery voltage and condition? If the battery voltage is below approximately 11 volts, the remote control door lock receiver (rcdlr) will not power up properly and it can logic lock. Make sure the battery is tested and in good condition. If the battery is good and the vehicle will not power up when the remote is in the slot, and you are hearing multiple clicks, then we likely have a vehicle module communication issue. I've seen many rcdlr's fail and not communicate with the body control module. I've even had corvette's with water intrusion into the window motors (which is also a module with the data line going to it) and cause the modules not to communicate causing the same symptoms you are having. If the battery voltage is where it should be and the battery is good we would need a scan tool to read data from the modules involved in the keyless system which are the rcdlr, the body control module and the engine control module.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I bought a battery charger and will do so later today.
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good... let me know.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
battery fully charged, nothing happening, there is no evidence of power in the vehicle, no lights etc. I wonder if when I "re programed the FOBs this shut down the security system?
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
The question would be why would you have an issue in the first place. The vehicle will not just lose the memory of any programmed fob. Now if it were working properly and the battery was fully charged and THEN you programmed the system incorrectly I could see that. But from what you are telling me, the battery is fine and the fault simply happened out of the blue.
It appears from what you are telling me that the rcdlr is seeing the remote (remember the multiple clicks I asked about) but the rcdlr is not communicating with the body control module to power up the vehicle. We either have a body control module that has failed or something taking down the data line such as a wiring fault or any one of the modules on that data line. Remember above I mentioned I had the exact same symptoms because of a window motor failure. The owner of the vehicle thought I was crazy that a window motor could cause a no start but again... the data line goes to the window motors. When I took the door panel off and disconnected the window motor, the vehicle would start and run. I'm not saying yours is a window motor. I'm simply giving an example of how one component can affect others on a communication network. That is exactly what it is... a network. It could be anything from the window motor or body control module to the radio. I think we're going to need dealer level diagnostic tools here to isolate this one. If one of the modules has failed, it requires dealer level programming equipment to configure it anyway.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I spoke with the deal and he said leave the battery charger on, replace FOB battery and see what happens, he said it sounds like the security system has entered the anti theft mode. I contacted a local auto shop to see if this did occur (anti theft mode) it was something they could correct. The local resource said they could
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Even with a low fob battery it should have worked when the fob was in the compartment and it should not have given a no fob detected message. A security message is separate from no fob.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so does it sound like the vehicle is in anti theft mode and need to be reset?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
in other words I need a shop to fix, correct?
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Anti theft mode would still power up the vehicle however it would not allow the vehicle to start. You are getting no fobs detected. That is not a security issue. It is a fob to rcdlr to body control module error.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry if that's not the answer you want to hear but based on what you are telling me I have to call them as I see them.
Bill
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks we I think we have narrowed it down
Expert:  Bill replied 2 years ago.
Based on the fact you are getting multiple clicks from the rcdlr (which is what you should get) I would suspect either the data network is down or the body control module has failed.
Bill