Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet K1500 4x4: I have a 98 Chevy k1500 it has just started

Customer Question
I have a 98 Chevy...
I have a 98 Chevy k1500 it has just started staying in 3 rd after it gets to operating temp. I guess its a limp home mode I have read.it shifts perfectly fine until then but after it gets warm there is no 4 the or 1 st and u have to manual shift back to second it will shift to 3 rd but very hard . the other day my tack and speed ometer quit then started back it has not done it again. It has a code p0785 andp1870 that is coming up. I was wandering which solenoids I should look at and which wiring can u help me
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/25/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
I am sorry for the long waitwhen this transmission is acting up can you check and see with the truck running when its acting up how many volts at at the fuse called TRANS in the inside fuse box ?
I checked the volts.I had 12 volts at all times I checked the fuses and tranny.where should I look now
when its acting up that fuse shows 12 volts if so when its acting up does the pink wire show 12 volts at it at the transmission ?if it shows 12 volts make sure visually the white wire at the transmission connector and the wiring going to the transmission looks goodif it does then the odds are the issue is a bad 3 -2 shift solenoid ( P0785 )but we have had a lot of issues with transmissions being stuck in limp and the speedo and tach stopping working and when both of those issues happen 90 % of the time it is a bad ignition switch as the trans and the dash speedo and tach use the same power off that trans fusei am just concerned that fuse was tested when it was not acting up and would hate to chase this problem in the wrong direction of shift solenoid issues
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician