Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Suburban 1500: My 1993 chevy Suburban 1500 4 wheel

Customer Question
My 1993 chevy Suburban 1500*****recently...
My 1993 chevy Suburban 1500*****recently feels as if I am towing a trailer, I notice it more from the initial take off. I have had it to two mechanics, one thought it may be a transmission problem the other wasn't sure what was causing the drag. Can you help?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/24/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
only in 4WD you feel this drag ?2WD it is fine ?
no, havent used*****since problem began. Problem is in*****but I would think it is also
the same in 4 wheel.
will it do this just on take off ?or all the time ?any speed its worse ?is it acting like its taking off in 2nd gear ?or it is in first gear and just seems like its being held back ?
It is more noticeable when first taking off but I assume it is all the time (but not sure).
It just seems as if it is being held back. Also, when I put it in reverse it bucks as if I
had my foot on the peddle when putting it in reverse.
is this more so a possible power issue from the engine or the engine feels like it has full power and something physically is holding it back from the transmission ?i am sorry for all the questions but i want to be sure to give you the right direction to go
It appears as if it may be a power issue since when I take off initially it is very slow to a point where I don't want to pull out into busy traffic unless I have plenty of space to get it up to speed.
i agree with you at this point of the issue being the engine itself not having full powerhow old is the fuel filter and cap and rotor and basic tune up parts on this truck ?does the check engine light come on when driving ?do you know if there are any codes set in the computer ?
Fuel filter & cap are about 1 year old. The engine light comes on occasionally as it has for years. Also the anti lock
brake light comes on but I had my mechanic check all brakes and calipers to seet if that was possibly hold it back but brakes checked out ok.
i think for starters we need to know what code or codes are being set in the computer as that may be the key to your issue
how do I find that information? Currently I have it at a repair shop, would they be able to give me codes and if so what do I ask them for?
yes ask them for the code numbers that are set in the computerif the light was coming on and off there should be code numbers in the computers history
unable to get the information from the repair shop other that the fact that they think its in the transmission. I am going to have a local trans guy who I no wont screw me check it out an then go from there. I appreciate your taking the time and I know its difficult without having the vehicle to actually inspect. Thanks for trying to trouble shoot the problem.
let me know what they find for codes and what the transmission guy saysyou can always get me back through this post any time for any follow up with this question for free even after you rate us here at Justanswer !
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician