Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My son has a 2004 Silvarado SS automatic. We got back from…

Customer Question
My son has a 2004...
My son has a 2004 Silvarado SS automatic. We got back from a three week trip and all of a sudden it won't shift up from 1st. My husband changed the transmission fluid and filters, but that did not fix the problem. HELP!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/23/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
I am sorry for the long waitwhat size engine is in this truck?is this a 60 or an 80 transmission in this truck ?does the speedometer work ?is the check engine light on are there any codes set ?
Engine size 6.0
We will have to look at the truck to get you the transmission size
Speedometer does NOT work
The check engine light is always on because there is not a high enough octane in the fuel in Dillingham
No codes are set
with the check engine light on and the speedometer there are no codes set at all ?yes can you find out of it is a 4L60-65E or a 4L80-85 transmission ?the speedometer was working the last time you drive the truck when it shifted fine ?
We can't figure out the transmission, but will the VIN help you?
VIN 2GCEK19N641146529
Shane doesn't have an OBD reader, so does not know if there are codes set.
The speedometer has never worked since Shane bought the truck and they are supposed to buy and install a new dash.
Do you think the transmission needs to be rebuilt? My husband said that when he changed the transmission fluid there were no shavings or no burnt smell.
i do not think you need a rebuild at all
i think if you fix the speedometer issue the transmission will shift ?
as for how to fix or which direction to go depends on the transmission in this truck
can you upload a picture of the transmission pan on your truck ?
Thanks, ***** ***** son will take a picture of the bottom side of the pan and send it to you when we get home.
sounds good
The filter number is ***** Deep Pan. I never gave it a thought until after I read another forum, but I was having issues of it not shifting until I let off the gas. When the transmission went out, I had no forward gears at all. I pulled off the road, put it in park for a few seconds and then put it back in drive and I had forward gears for a short period of time. I was going down the road then the engine reved up like I was in neutral. So I let off the gas not even thinking about it then pressed the gas again and still nothing. The dash is good sometimes but isn't more often then not. The spedo is pegged over max speed on the face and the needle gets stuck and after a while the needle will drop back down. The RPM gauge does gets stuck every once in a while, but it has been like that since before I got the truck. The oil pressure gauge also doesn't work or the transmission temp gauge. The engine temp and gas gauge always work
when it lost all forward gear would reverse work ?
Yes, although I didn't punch it or go very far in reverse I did feel it engage and I didn't seem to have any loss in power going in reverse
any time these transmissions loose forward gears and in drive it acts like neutral when this happens is usually a forward sprag / one way clutch failing in the transmission
by default no matter what happens electronically or with the computer and shift solenoids it should always have reverse and a forward gear usually 2nd gear
since when in drive it lost all forward gears this transmission has to have a failing forward sprag in it
the transmission will need to be removed and torn down to replace it i am sorry to say
That's kinda what I figured, sadly. Thank you for your help
anytimedont forget to rate us here at Justanswer !
👍
thank you again for using Justanswer !