Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet Uplander LT: 2008 Chevy UplanderYesterday, got…

Customer Question
2008 Chevy Uplander Yesterday, got in...
2008 Chevy Uplander
Yesterday, got in, turned the key, and, "click".
Read article here regarding relays, solenoids, and the starter itself.
Relays sounds rights and can feel a click, but haven't independently tested w/12v power.
Removed starter. Disassembled, cleaned, greased where it was supposed to be and reassembled.
Took starter to local parts shop.
Tested "good", heard it spin but didn't actually see the actuator pop-out.
Reinstalled starter. BIG question here at end of paragraph*****
Got in, turned key, and "click".
Took battery to local shop. Tested bad. Got a new replacement on warranty.
Installed new battery.
Got in, turned key, and "click".
Dang. Dang. and Triple dang.
BIG QUESTION:
Starter has two copper poles, one at 5 o'clock, one at 11 o'clock and a plug in the center.
When I re-installed the starter, I could only find the two wires jumped together to go on one pole, and the plug wire.
The two wires jumped together, one was heavy, like 6 gauge with a red tag on the end, and a smaller wire from a wiring harness leg. These two wires came off - jumpered, and went back on - jumpered.
I put the two jumpered wires on the 5 o'clock pole. (This may be wrong but I didn't think so)
I looked 3 times for any other wires but didn't see any. I expected to see what I would have thought was a ground wire maybe, but nada. I say a ground wire because the solenoid had a ground wire going to the 11 o'clock pole.
Now while I still think the starter may still be bad, did I wire it back together correctly???
Previous article I referenced was "2008 Uplander Starter Replacement" with diagrams.
But the wiring diagram is hard to read and I couldn't find any loose wires to put on the 11 o'clock pole.
Small Question:
Am I missing something?
I haven't tested power to pole wires (the jumper wires referenced above), nor to center plug during key ignition. Guess that'll be tomorrow.
Practicing the Art of Automotive Zen
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/21/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic
Hi I'm Kevin I saw your question I don't have info on your specific model but all starters have 2 wires going to the one big one small. The big wire should go to biggest terminal on solenoid it should have 12volts all the time . The other smaller wire is your switch wire and should have 12v when key is turned to the start position that's all you need to start . The other wire on starter should go between solonoid and starter body this is part of starter
Still getting a single "click" when turning key
Tested starter solenoid and motor - both good
Tested battery - got new battery, so it's good
Tested power on 6 gauge hot wire to starter - good 12 volts
Tested switch wire to starter - good 12 volt bump
Bought a new starter relay (they only had one), tested in both the "crank" and the "ign main" slots, - got the single "click"
Click sounds like it's coming from the starter.
Any ideas? Can the starter test "good" and still be bad? That doesn't make sense.
Quick follow-up on starter wiring:
This starter has 2 equal sized studs, neither are marked that I can see (while holding it in my hand), and a central plug for the ignition wire.
It has three wires going to the starter.
The first wire (the switch wire I assume) has a male plug, it goes to a female plug in the center of the solenoid; it is about 14 gauge; and it has 12v when the key is turned to the start position.
Then I have two wires jumped together.
One is obviously the power supply as it is about 6 gauge wire, has a red marker at the end of it, and has constant 12v power.
Then there is a blue wire, from a wiring harness, about 10 or 12 gauge, that was - and is now jumpered to the power wire. I did not separate these two wires to see if one has constant 12v, and the other doesn't, as I took them off jumpered together and it has run that way for 7 years.
These jumpered wires I put on the right stud (looking at the stud end of the solenoid). I thought this is where they came off of; the bends in the wire indicate this stud position and not the other left stud; and the other stud has what I'm assuming is an obvious ground wire to the solenoid.
Hi everything you have suggests wire you have everything you need for starter to run and it's clicking so I would replace starter
Sounds good, and I have a replacement starter coming Thursday.
Please bear with me until then.
Thanks Kevin
No worries let me know how you get on
New starter came a day earlier than expected.
Installed new starter, and, click.
And the click sound like it coming from the new starter, just like it sounded like it was coming from the old starter.
Jimminy willakers!
I don't know, other than start testing every relay and fuse...
Or trash the do-it-yourself mode and call the tow truck. (last resort)
So you have a constant 12 volt and a switched 12v when turning the key yes?
I verified both lines 2 days ago, and re-verified the constant side just now. I can't test the switch without help, but it also tested good the other day when I had help.
I don't know how I can guide you further il opt out someone else will help you shortly
I appreciate the try Kevin. I thought we'd get through this. It's puzzling. Not being a auto mechanic, I'm starting to wonder if it might be neutral switch related; but I think not as I'm getting the initial click at the starter. I just finished a wiring cable to test the relays to a volt meter. They click as they're supposed to, but I wanted to also verify them.
Thanks again.
No worries I thought we could get you sorted but on this one I just don't have enough info hopefully another expert will be able to help you soon
I haven't heard from anyone else. Do I need to do something mor at this end?