Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet: , I am working on a 2000 cavalier and I seem to

Customer Question
HI, I am working on...
HI, I am working on a 2000 cavalier and I seem to have power feeding into my headlight circuit. There is a reduced voltage in the HL circuit even when the fuses are pulled and the DRL relay pulled.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
Is there somewhere that the HL circuit can be shorting to a power circuit?
6/21/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. Is this on both headlights or just one headlight ?
Both
Ok how much voltage and is it only on the low beam portion or the high beam portion ? What color are the wires?
11.7 on both circuits. Both L & R fuses are removed.
Pink & Blue on the left HL
Ok I'm looking over the diagram now. Give me a minute or two
Those wires feed directly from the headlight switch. remove the heaight switch to see if the voltage disappears. Also the wired feed to the bcm but it shows as a input going TO the bcm not FROM the bcm so I don't think power would come from there , I'm gonna think that you should try to remove the turn signal fuse (if there is one I'm checking now also ) see if power drops off
Remove the "ext lamp fuse "
The "trn-b/L fuse
The "stop haz" fuse
See which one kills power.
still have power. HL switch is removed also.
Ok please repeat back to be what you do so I know we are on the same page.
Found the circuit that is supplying the power. It is the cluster circuit. So where can the power from the cluster back feed to the HL circuit? I'm guessing it is a shorted wire somewhere in the dash?
How did you find that ? Nothing in my diagrams show cluster ?
Just started pulling fuses. Cluster Fuse pulled eliminated my power to the HL circuit.
Ok let me see what the fuse wire goes to.
Ok yeah that's what I thought. Remember when I said the wires for the headlights also go to the BCM , well the cluster fuse powers the cluster and bcm. Put the fuse back in and unplug the connectors on the bcm. I bet the bcm is what's back feeding.
The bcm is located on the left side of the dash pretty much between the fuse block and then firewall up under the dash.
If you put the fuse back in and unplug the bcm and the power quits the the issue is the bcm, if you need more assistance I'll still be here to help. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉 Keep in mind then when you rate it does not end our conversation. you can still return here to me for follow up information if needed, Lou.
It's not the BCM. Put the Cluster in and pulled the bcm fuse and I still have power.
No, want you to UNPLUG THE BCM ITSELF not the fuse. I said before the cluster fuse powers the cluster AND the bcm also. So I want you to unplug the bcm
Ok. I unplugged 3 connectors to the BCM and plugged the Cluster fuse back in and no power to the HL circuit. So the BCM gets power from both the BCM fuse and the Cluster Fuse?
So how do I close out and what are my charges?
Ok sorry for the delay , we have been having terrible storms in Illinois for last two weeks it won't stop raining. Ok yes the bcm is at fault and yes it gets power from two sources (fuses). And the chat will remain open as long as you need it. But please rate my service so I may receive credit for helping. There is a link to rate your answer. I believe that's what is says. And the fee is the fee you set yourself when you signed up. Nothing additional unless you feel I deserve a bonus but that's about it. Hope I was helpful. If you need anything in the future let me know. I'm here to help. Lou.
I have taken my time to answer your question the best i could and i will continue to help if you need follow up information , all i ask is that you PLEASE take a second to rate my service so i may recieve my credit for assisting you. Thank you.
Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician