Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 1959 Impala straight 6. It has running earlier

Customer Question
today, all electrical working, lights...
I have a 1959 Impala straight 6. It has running earlier today, all electrical working, lights horn dash lights and ignition. It was driven to the driveway, changed oil. Went to start it and there is no electrical anywhere. No lights, horn, dash lights
or ignition switch. Why9
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/20/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
If you look down at the starter you will see where the wires connect to the starter solenoid. On the same post as the battery cable, there ia a wires that is called a fusible link wire Its a wire that acts like a fuse. This wire feeds the fuse box and thats why it has no power anywhere.
You need to disconnect the negative battery cable before you start to repair it so you dont short something out with a wrench and then disconnect that wire and look for soft burnt spot on the wire that connects to the large post with the battery cable. When the link blows it doesnt always blow the wire in half, it just burns the wire inside the insulation. The diagram below shows what they look like.
Once you find the bad one you should take a piece of it to a parts store so they can match it up with the right size fuse link wire. If you use a regular wire and there is a short somewhere it will start to burn the whole wiring harness and turn into a nightmare to fix.
Also look closely at that wire because a lot of times it will rub on the exhaust and burn that way.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/link.PNG
If you are satisfied with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic