Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Chevrolet 2004 Suburban 2500 4X4: Dan, I have 12volts coming

Customer Question

Dan,
I have 12volts coming into the rear ac blower motor resistor, but .7 coming out. I have replaced the resistor and have the same issue.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 years ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
From your description I would say you have a connection problem. This diagnostic procedure can go two different way depending on whether or not you have automatic A/C controls. Either one both of the connections are in the same places and cause the same problems.
1. With the original blower resistor installed, if there is a purple wire at the resistor back-probe and ground the purple wire. The blower motor should run at high speed.
2. If not, leave the purple wire grounded. Check for battery voltage at the orange wire on the resistor.
3. If no or low voltage is present, check connector C397. Follow the resistors harness forward to connector C397 it's a 6 terminal connector located above the rear wheel well. Check the orange wire in this connector.
4. If the voltage is low on the orange wire at connector C397, locate and check connector C206. Connector C206 is a 22 terminal gray connector located lower left of the IP behind the kick panel at the parking brake pedal.
I've found both of these connectors melted at the orange wire. I have also experienced defective aftermarket blower resistors, this is why I would try the original first.
If there is no purple wire at the resistor or at the motor, as I said earlier the same orange wire has the same problems at both connectors C206 and C397. I've seen intermittent blower motor operation on these and hitting the blower motor will turn it on and off.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much.