Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2012 Chevy Impala 3.6 engine, has motor oil standing in the…

Customer Question
2012 Chevy Impala 3.6 engine...
2012 Chevy Impala 3.6 engine, has motor oil standing in the air intake hose. Apparent cause of rough start and idle before it clears out and runs smooth. Car has 150,000 miles. What could cause this?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/18/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
how much oil is building up in the air intake hose ?
A couple ounces were present in the lowest point of the air intake, but the air filter had soaked up some oil at some point although there was no oil standing in the air filter housing.
can you be sure the fresh air hose tube to the front and rear valve cover are not kinked or damaged ?also on the intake air hose are there any hoses that connect to that air intake hose that you see ?
no hoses connect to the air intake, but there is a vaccum source from the intake to the power brake booster and a hose from the back side valve cover to the intake which I assume is for crankcase ventilation.
there should be 2 hoses to each valve covers to a fixed orifice PCV valve design and the 2 hoses from each should connect to the intake manifold
See the back side but not the front. Could it be sucking the oil up from the top of the head because of clogged oil drain holes in the head preventing the oil from draining efficiently and pooling in the valve cover enough to be sucked into the intake manifold. The intake manifold is higher than the air inlet hose.
the usual cause of this is is too much oil being sucked up into the intake manifold and we have seen the fixed PCV orifice them selves being partially plugged up cause this issue or too much compression getting into the crank caseis this car still under warranty ?are you looking to fix this yourself or a good idea before it goes into the shop ?