Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

I have a 96 Chevy S-10 blazer.lost all power driving 60mph

Customer Question

I have a 96 Chevy S-10 blazer.lost all power driving 60mph down hwy. After towing vehicle home , vehicle started and ran for 10min. After diagnosing all symptoms point towards fuel pump . Replaced fuel pump , noticed a blown ECM BATT fuse,replaced 20amp fuse. Engine ran fine for 20min. turned off vehicle, tried to restart, fuse blows. Turned ignition completely off ,removed key, try to replace fuse, they keep popping with ignition off. I re-checked all circuits found no faults. Unhooked the "Black" terminal from ECM, replaced fuse, fuse held. Replaced Black terminal ,Fuse Pops.I have
replaced the ECM Vehicle barely runs with a aweful idle , will not accelerate. No fault code were ever present before or after pump/Ecm replacement. Question; should ECM BATT fuse be be hot at all times ?( because it is ) Any clue where i should be looking .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 years ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
From your description there is most likely a short in circuit #440 orange wire. Circuit 440 goes to the fuel pump/oil pressure gauge sensor and also to terminal #21 on the clear connector at the ECM. On harnesses of this age it's not wise to cut open the harness and make repairs, so I'm not real sure where the short actually is but I know how to remove it from the circuit and replace it.
With a 15 amp fused jumper wire disconnect the oil pressure sending unit and connect the jumper wire to the gray wire and remove the fuel pump relay. The vehicle should start and run without blowing the #9 ECM BATT fuse. If this works out as described, Cut the orange wire from terminal #21 on the clear connector at the ECM. With the same 15 amp fused jumper wire replace this circuit from battery voltage (ECM BATT fuse is good to use) to terminal #21 at the ECM. Reconnect the oil pressure sending unit and replace the fuel pump relay. The #9 ECM BATT fuse is now powering the fuel pump relays circuit 440 and #21 fused battery feed at the ECM.
I can also offer additional services for 5 bucks and continue this conversation over the phone and or through private email with diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Please accept my offer for 1996 S-10 Blazer ECM BATT so I can better assist you.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks so much.