Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevrolet Tahoe LT: my 2004 engine light came on . Had code

Customer Question

my 2004 engine light came on . Had code read and they said it was a knock sensor. just checking to see if they go bad. Its a 2004 tahoe, it runs fine, has 150k miles.trying to determine if i have engine problems or the sensor is bad
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry the Tech you requested was unavailable to assist you today. It appears that Tech is currently "Offline". Now that his 15 minute "request lock" has expired, hopefully I can be of some assistance in his place... Is this the 5.3L engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Ok, great... thought so. As long as there are no signs of an engine knock or ping, then most commonly, it's the knock sensor(s) itself. The knock sensors are actually fairly common fail items on the 5.3L engines, and more commonly, due to water intrusion to the wiring or sensor itself. There are 2 knock sensors on this engine. Both are located under the intake manifold. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken, rubbed-through or pinched wires. Inspect for any signs of water intrusion. If the visual inspections check ok, replace the knock sensors (best to change both at the same time given the labor amount to get to them). Apon installation, use a small bead of silicone around the grommet to protect against any chances of water in the future. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.