Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Impala LS: I have a 2004 Chevy Impala with a 3800

Customer Question
I have a 2004 Chevy...
I have a 2004 Chevy Impala with a 3800 engine I have had five thermostats put in it I've had to radiator flush 6 times I've had the heater core flush twice and the car still overheats
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/16/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic replied 2 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
first,if you havent already,install a new radiator/reservoir cap,a cap can give a fit when bad..
next,sense the cooling system has been worked on,there may be air still trapped in the engine..lets bleed the system this way
1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold
2-start the engine and let idle
3-turn the heater on max
4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed
5-some coolant may gush out with the air
6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating temperature and the heater is hot
7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap
This may take as long as 20-30 minutes
if it still overheats after you do this and if the engine ever has been really hot,i would think it has blown head gaskets and they will need to be replaced
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic