Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet Tahoe 4x4: 06 tahoe 5.3L code 449 vent soleniod and

Customer Question

06 tahoe 5.3L code 449 vent soleniod and 455 large evap leak. what does this mean? I was told to check the gas cap and its fine. What are the problems here and what do i do to fix it? thanks
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
The P0455 is a very general code pointing to a leak in the EVAP System. The P0449 narrows that down a bit to a problem or leak with the Canister Vent Solenoid. The Vent Solenoid is located under the vehicle, towards teh rear/passenger's side (#2 in this image). Carefully inspect the lines to/from the solenoid for any cracks, holes or disconnections. Inspect the EVAP Canister itself for any dents, cracks or holes (mounted right next to it in the image above). Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. If you are absolutely sure the fuel cap is good and meets OE specs, replace the EVAP Vent Solenoid. Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks for the help! hopefully i can check this this week. ill let you know what i find. ill keep you posted.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good. These are actually very common fail items on these vehicle. The problem has to lie in that area somewhere. Glad I could be of some help today! Please do the right thing and remember to leave a rating using the stars at the top right of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions even after you rate or accept.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 2 years ago.
Hi! Ron Z here again!
I noticed this question was still open, so I thought I'd check in and see how you made out. Did the information I provided help you out? Was it informative and helpful? Did you have any other questions on this issue? Your satisfaction is very important to me! Please reply and let me know if there's anything else I can do for you!
Thanks!
-Ron Z
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok i was able to check it out visually (i was under the truck for about 30 mins looking around) I didn't see anything broken or loose. whats next to check?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
all the vacuum lines look good to the vent solenoid ?did you find the vent solenoid ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i I'm pretty sure from your diagram. could it be an electrical connector thats throwing those codes?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
it could bemake sure the connector is clean and tight and visually both wires to the vent solenoid look goodif they do then with the key ON make sure the orange wire shows 12 volts at itif it does then the odds are replacing the vent solenoid will correct this code
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

ok ill check it out later. so if the orange wire has power, then the solenoid is bad and this will take care of both codes?

Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
yes it willyou can always get me back through this post any time with any follow even after you rate me here at Justanswer !