Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet Luv: Have a 1980 Luv pickup that has a habit of quitting…

Customer Question
Have a 1980 Luv pickup...
Have a 1980 Luv pickup that has a habit of quitting every so often! Have replaced all fuel components and the fuel pump relay was finally determined to be the problem. Found a new one on EBay and installed it. It ran very well for about a 150 miles then quit again. That is the farthest it has run without quitting!
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 3 days by:
6/18/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Any idea why it quit this time?
When it quit, would it start right back up?
Do you have a tachometer that you can watch and see if it at least shows a cranking rpm in order to know if the ignition system is working or not?
Do you have a fuel gauge that you can hook up?
Can you get a can of starting fluid to test to see if it will start back up for at least a few seconds after it dies, to see if it is a fuel problem or now. If it does start back up even if for just a few seconds then the ignition must be working.
It always appears to be fuel starvation, I can pour gas in the carb and it will run for a second or two. If you let it sit an hour or so it will run until the same thing happens. Can the fuel pump relay be bypassed? All electrical components have been replaced, points,plugs,conensor, dist cap, wires.
If it is starving for fuel you have been concentrating on replacing the wrong parts when deciding to replace all them ignition parts. Is the fuel pump relay loose in it's socket?