Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.
77147243

Chevrolet S-10: I have a 2001 S-10 PU truck. The problem I'm

Customer Question

I have a 2001 S-10 PU truck. The problem I'm having is that the left brake light does not illuminate when braking. The flasher and left turn signal still work properly. Any ideas on this problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Clayso replied 2 years ago.
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience and I'm here to help with this problem. Additional services may be offered for detailed information.
From your description this could be one of two things or maybe both the Center High Mounted Stop Lamp (CHMSL) relay or the Turn Signal/Multifunction Switch.
In the underhood electrical center. Check and see if the CHMSL clicks when the brakes are applied. If the CHMSL doesn't click swap it out with the horn relay and see if it will now click. If the relay now clicks and the brake lights work the problem is solved. If the relay clicks and the brake light does not come on the problem is most likely the brake light circuit inside of the turn signal/multifunction switch.
Underhood Electrical Center
http://tinyurl.com/nekzt3j
If you have a test light and or a voltmeter and would like for me to walk you through this circuit I can offer additional services for 5 bucks and continue this conversation through email with diagrams and technical information specific to this vehicle. Let me know.
I hope this information is helpful to you.
Should you have any questions please let me know.
Thanks so much.