Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 Z71: Ron. I have a 2005 Avalanche

Customer Question
Hi Ron. I have a...
Hi Ron. I have a 2005 Avalanche Z71. The engine light has come on and I can only fill the gas tank if the stream is at a trickle. I am pretty sure that the vent solenoid is clogged because I live in an area where I drive down 10 miles of dirt roads daily. It gets very dusty and muddy at times. I have been researching this on the internet and my question for you is about the solenoid. I have looked under the vehicle and found a black plastic valve. It has one hose and an electrical connection. I have seen this blamed as the culprit on the net. I have also seen a vent solenoid that has electrical connection and TWO hoses, one to the gas tank and one forward to a filter then to the transmission. It also was called a vent solenoid. Does my vehicle have both and, if so, where is the two hose one located?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/9/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
the most common issue is the vent solenoid
there should only be one vent solenoid and a charcoal canister
if you cut and paste this link here it will show the vent solenoid
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=2005+chevy+alalanche+vent+solenoid&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
I went to the link and that part looks nothing like I am referring to.
ACDelco(###) ###-####is the part I need, you answer did not help me one bit.
the 2005 vent solenoid should have 1 hose to it and a 2 wire electrical connector with the colored wires to it of orange and a white wire
ACDelco(###) ###-####is the vent valve in the picture
The yahoo search you sent me shows a completely different part.
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2005/chevrolet/avalanche_1500/engine_electrical/vapor_canister_vent_solenoid.html
it should be this one here
Part Number: 18294-05405249
That one matches. I have the following OBDII codes: P0054, P0332, and P0449.
the 54 code is an O2 sensor code
the 449 is the Vent solenoid
the 332 is a knock sensor code
i would fix the vent solenoid first then clear the codes and see if any of them come back
but the vent solenoid should correct the 449 code and the fueling issue
I am going to replace both the vent solenoid and the passenger downstream o2 sensor. These are easy replacements and not too costly. I will replace the knock sensor as well as the harness later. Just want to verify part numbers with you.O2 sensor Bank 2 Sensor 2 - AC/Delco(###) ###-####Knock sensor - AC/Delco(###) ###-####Knock sensor harness
Intake manifold gasketsI'm probably going to replace both knock sensors while I'm under the intake manifold.
Are there any pitfalls that I should be aware of when performing any of the above replacements?
all of those repairs are very straight forward and usually no surprises
those part numbers look good
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician