BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Classic LS: Just bought 1999 chev

Customer Question

Just bought 1999 chev silverado z71 5,3l 3dr a/c not working all the time clutch seems to work when I first start with a/c on fan off then start turn on fan a/c comes on by itself and clutch engages most the time if I shut off and re start clutch does not engage ,but if I shut truck off it may come back to life also it seems to be on or off but no cycling ,
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. The most common cause of this is the low pressure cycling switch located on the accumulator on the passenger side of the firewall under the hood. This switch opens and closes the circuit depending on system pressure and when it fails it can get stuck and keep it on or off. It can also be the clutch or the relay but this is the most common. If you can tell me what the high and low side pressures are reading when it is on and when it is off it will help to narrow it down.