Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet C3500HD: I Have a 1998 chevy 3500HD 6.5 Diesal. I

Customer Question
I Have a 1998 chevy...
I Have a 1998 chevy 3500HD 6.5 Diesal. I have had it at 3 different shops and they can not find what the problem is. The truck will run fin till it get warm (like doing 65 down the interstate for about 30 miles) then it drops power and can not pull hills. It will not run above 30 40 miles an hour. I can pull over let it set for about 5 min and it will take off again for 5 - 20 miles and do it again.
The computer tells them the boost sensor is out of range but they can change it and it still does it the next time. The security light is also on.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/9/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
What code is stored?
Does it smoke during this event?
Is there boost during this event?
Has anyone checked for a vacuum pump or fuel solenoid driver module issue?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
What code is stored? Like I had said before the boost sensor shows up (out of range). But they replace it and it stills does that. The Security system shows up in the codes as well.
Does it smoke during this event? Sometimes it does when you start it back up
Is there boost during this event? It has no power during the event. You can press the fuel to the floor but you get no response.
The shop that I took it to said they have done and checked everything. They can't find anything wrong. They even told me to take it else were because there is nothing they can do for me. When the truck is cold i.e. first thing in the morning. You can drive it about 30 or so miles with no problem. It seams like it only happens when the truck gets warmed up good.
Has anyone checked for a vacuum pump or fuel solenoid driver module issue? I haven't heard anyone say anything about the vacuum pump directly but yes the fuel solenoid has been replaced also.
I asked for the code because the boost sensor can store 3 codes, and I wanted to confirm which you had.
When this is occurring can you tell me the vacuum output from the vacuum pump.
I’m not a mechanic and I don’t have the tools to check that stuff with.
I will take the truck to a different shop on Thursday and have them check that stuff for me. I will have to get back to you on what they say.
Super
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician