Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy K2500: My front axle will not engage on my 98 Chevy K2500.

Customer Question
My front axle will not...
My front axle will not engage on my 98 Chevy K2500. I re[laced the actuator and transfer case switch but no luck.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/8/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !+
I am sorry for the long wait
is this a black plastic front actuator or a silver aluminum one ?
if you remove the actuator then hold it in your hand and plug it back in then turn the key ON and shift it into 4HI will the acutator visually extend out ?
It is the black plastic one. I took it out and engaged the lever but it does not extend. I'm getting 12 volts on two of the pins on the connector.
ok how many wires at the front actuator and what colors ?
then with the key ON what colors show 12 volts then when shifted into 4HI what colors show 12 volts ?
In both cases only the brown wire has 12 volts.
Sorry 4 wires. Black/gray ,black ,brown , brown/black
is the black a good ground ?
will the grey/black show a good ground when the key is ON and the truck put into 4HI ?
Black and black/g
if the brown is a confirmed 12 volts with the key ON and the solid black is a good ground and the grey/black only shows a ground when shifted into 4HI tat is everything that front actuator needs to operate when visually holding in your hand it should extend out when plugged in and shifted into 4HI
The black & black gray both read 12 volts to the brown wire. And they both read 20&50 ohms to chassis
that is a lot of ohms to chassis
can you check and see if the grounds G105 as seen here are confirmed clean and tight and NONE of the grounds are broken or loose ?
cut and paste this link for the ground location
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B44D0F00649BC959!1056&authkey=!ANInf0xACLPyNOs&v=3&ithint=photo%2cgif
I just jumped 12 volts off the battery to brown pin and minus to black and black/gray and nothing moves
at this point you have everything there for the actuator to operate
is this a floor shift or push button switch ?
Floor shift
I already exchanged the actuator once at advanced auto parts but if one is bad perhaps their whole batch is bad.
this is very odd
can you tell me what the black/white wire shows ground or power ?
with the key on and in 4 hi?
yes then with it in 2hi
the electrical schematics are tricky for these systems
That wire is ground in both states
After checking it again the brown wire and the gray/black have 12 volts on them. The black and black/gray are ground. This is key on lever in 4 hi.
operate out of those 3 wires
the brown a confirmed 12 volts the black a confirmed good ground then the black and grey should be a confirmed good ground when shifted into 4HI
if all 3 of those check out and the actuator will not extend out visually holding it in your hand it has to be a defective actuator
I'll get another one and I'll let you know what happens
ok
everything is testing out correct right at the actuator for it to operate
Just went to Autozone this time and got the third new actuator and still does not extend.
lets see if another expert has any ideas
hang on another expert will reply back to you
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician