Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet k1500 5.7: i have a 1988 chevy pickup with a 5.7

Customer Question

i have a 1988 chevy pickup with a 5.7 liter. number 5 cyl is dead. but the truck stiil runs does not stall just under powered. i put new plugs cap rotor wires injectors in the thottle body any anwsers?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
A v8 will still run with just one cylinder missing.
Does it misfire all the time? If so, remove that valve cover and disable the engine by pulling the fuel pump relay. Now crank the engine over or better yet have someone lese crank the engine over and compare those 2 lifts, the intake and exhaust lift of the camshaft by watching if the rocker arms rise the same amount as them other cylinders and also make sure neither of the pushrods have poked a hole through the rocker arm, that the rocker arms studs haven't pulled out of the head.
If it misfires like only while idling or under light acceleration then perhaps you have a vacuum leak at that intake manifold near the #5 intake runner.
Other than that it may be a blown head gasket, so if you have a compression tester, test each on that bank.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 2 years ago.
I think I know what you are asking. Yes, run the new wire from the spot that has voltage all the way out to the lights.