Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

Chevrolet malibu ss: have an 06 malibu ss. traction control

Customer Question

have an 06 malibu ss. traction control light came on followed by engine light and car made a loud noise and then turned off. car hesitates to start...trying to turn over but takes a while. when it finally does, it makes loud clanking noises like rocks in the engine
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
when you hear this noise where is the noise coming from ?
inside the engine ?
the front timing cover area ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know. This morning it starts right up but is making a loud knocking noise
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
if the noise if from the engine shut the engine OFF
the drive belt needs to be removed off the engine and start it up and see if it still makes this noise
the odds are it will and the most common issues is the timing chain has jumped or is loose
the valve cover needs to come off and inspect the valve train if the valve springs are good and nothing is loose with the cam shafts then the timing cover needs to come off as the timing chain is failing
also keep in mind this is an interference engine which means if the chain goes out of time a lot of time the valves will hit the pistons and bend the valves
bot***** *****ne if with the belt off if it makes the noise the engine will need to come apart to repaired and worse case it will need new valves and a timing chain kit