Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 Z71: 2006 chevy suburban charging 13.2…

Customer Question
2006 chevy suburban charging 13.2...
2006 chevy suburban charging 13.2 volt every ather day i have to bust with spare baterry new alternator and new batery ground batery cable has a sensor some time servive charging system mesage coming on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
6/2/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
13.2 volts isn't enough. Are you reading this voltage with a scan tool, a hand held voltmeter or the gauge? Are you reading this voltage at the battery or at the back of the alternator? Are you reading this voltage with the engine idling or while reved up?
Are all the accessories off or on?
I hook up digital wolt meter to ppower line i can monitor all the time.myvolt meter reads 13.2 volts snopon volt meter reads at batery when idling 13.4 volts.new batery than new alternator.itry every think revup ,idle acc on or of.same time SERVICE CHARGING SYSTEM mesage comes on.in last three month only 14.4 isee 15 minute long when i waz driwing for while was ok than same thing again
You should test the voltage again at the back of the alternator and if it's above 14.2 volts there, replace the wire/cable from the alternator to the battery.
Actually it appears that wire/cable goes to a junction block before it leads back to the battery, so check the voltage at the back or the alternator and at the junction block. If the voltage is above 14.2 volts at the back of the alternator but also above 14.2 volts at the junction block, replace the wire from the junction block to the battery but if it's above 14.2 volts at the back of the alternator but that 13.4 or lower at the junction block replace the wire/cable from the alternator to that junction block.
I did it all tghose test ol the same 13.2 or 3 or4 not more than that..one sensor on the ground batery cable.should a voltage sensing sensor iam worry about it that but i dont want to replace for nothing idid it batery and alternator and idont have shematic for charging system,i replace the that wire goes alternator to junction box didnt help at all still and idon know what else i will replace or sell it some one else worry about it.
So you had 13.4 volts at the back of the alternator?
If you are seeing 14.5 volts at times, it sounds as though this is an intermittent problem and I would check teh voltagees feeding the alternator.
Here is the wiring diagram.
I just read that this has the Electrical Power Management system. I assume that is what you were talking about when you mentioned some sensor on the battery negative cable.
While running, the battery degree of discharge is primarily determined by a battery current sensor.
The generator battery control module is a serviceable component that is connected to the negative battery cable at the battery. It directly controls the generator field control circuit, charge indicator control, input to the generator.
If the generator battery control module loses communication with the PCM, the default voltage will be set to 13.8 volts and the module will set U1016. If the generator battery control module loses communication with the body control module (BCM), the module will set U1064.
So, with that done said, using a scan tool see either of those 2 codes or any codes for that matter are stored in the computer modules.
Codes B1487, B1390, B1488, B1492, or B1516 may also be set.
No code At all I have Ceap scan tool but shows most code I dont acces the TECH2 .Is PCM controls the charging voltage any vayto change the charging value whith scan tool for example wtih tech 2
I would just replace the battery current sensor and try that. I see it listed for like $25.
Autozone has it for $29. http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-current-sensor/duralast-battery-current-sensor/chevrolet/suburban-1500-4wd/2006/8-cylinders-z-5-3l-sfi-flex-fuel/516978_0_0/
http://www.autozone.com/batteries-starting-and-charging/battery-current-sensor/duralast-battery-current-sensor/chevrolet/suburban-1500-4wd/2006/8-cylinders-z-5-3l-sfi-flex-fuel/516978_0_0/
ok I will be in Buffalo Ny Saturday i found a autozone has a sensor and i will look brakes rotor and pads too and ihave to try because if go to fishing and hunting some times cellphone dont work eider.i will leth you know thanks for now
ok
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic