Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 years GM dealer Technician.
14928985

Chevrolet silverado 2500 HD: I was pulling my boat home yesterday

Customer Question

I was pulling my boat home yesterday about 80 mph and all of a sudden there was suddenly a whistling that sounded like it was coming under the dash of the cab. I got off the gas and it slowly went away, I started to get into the gas again and it started back up around 80 MPH. I opened the hood and looked under the dash from the floor and could see anything of course. What do you think it could be? Oh and then it started to do a regain and after that it went into limp mode and we had to pull over turn it off and start it back up and limp it in over to a friends that lived out there.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hi,my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to try to assist you with this.I may need more information in some cases to help with answering your question.I apologize for the delay and I am posting as soon as I saw your question myself.
it is hard to pinpoint the exact cause from here without seeing the vehicle but the turbo is a known component that can fail and cause this here as well as the turbo cooler or cooler hoses producing a leak causing the noise.
The engine will have to be checked over further to pinpoint the cause and once it is located it can be repaired from there to correct it.
I would have the turbo checked and turbo fittings as well as inter cooler and intercooler fittings as well for any leaks needing repaired.If the turbo has failed it will need rebuilts by an authorized rebuild facility or replaced.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yeah I was hoping that there was something that was a common issue with the 2012 Duramax charging side of the turbo like a weak spot. I’m sure the turbo will need replaced and I already have on order. They said on the web site that it was a GM mechanic and thought they would know of a o-ring or gasket that gives away in a certain area.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
The turbo thrust bearing may have worn out as this can happen and damage an internal seal causing this issue here.This can be a common fault to cause this issue in the turbo itself.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
LOL I'm sure it can be but it's not a common issue for a Duramax to loose a turbo, I'll just figure it out with the old soap and water trick when I get the new turbo in to find the leak.
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k,if there is anything else I can help with here let me know.Feel free to rate my help above if you like.
Thanks Pete