GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet k3500: I have a 97 6.5 diesel. I went to start my

Customer Question

I have a 97 6.5 diesel. I went to start my truck this morning and it started but it was so ruff that it shakes the whole truck. Put in gear and have no brakes or steering. Plus rpm reads nothing no RPM
Category: Chevy
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried changing pmd module with a spare I keep and still.does the same thing. Fuel filter is a week old, fuel pump is working. Checked all vacuum lines and they are good
Expert:  Hal replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** *****
Do you have a scan tool to read codes or data information? Does it crank along time before starting ( 4-8 seconds?)
Was there any metal particles or glitter type rust in bottom of fuel filter housing?
Have you disconnected anything else to try and diagnose this concern? ( cam sensor on top of the pump or crankshaft sensor?) This engine will start and run with either of these disconnected for diagnostic purposes , but will not start with both disconnected at same time.
Is this truck a manual or automatic transmission?