Randy
Randy, Computer Technician
Experience:  SERVICE AND REPAIR TECHNICIAN
62741268

Chevy Lumina: It's warming up here in the Las Vegas desert

Customer Question

It's warming up here in the Las Vegas desert now and I notice that my temp gauge runs about half way when I am stuck in slow traffic/idling at traffic lights.
My radiator fans are not running at all when I get out of the car. The radiator is only 6 years old (see pic).
Are there any small things I can check (fuses, relay switches) on my own b4 I have to bring it to Pep Boys (they have a diagnostic machine but they always charge $90 up front).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
That sounds like maybe one or both of the cooling fans may not be working. One of the fans should run anytime the ac is on, and the other should come on when the temperature hand is above normal. Check the operation of the fans first and let me know please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My a/c is out a long time, so that is not a factorCry.

When should the fan kick in? The hottest my temp gauge runs is about half-way.... how can you tell if it's a blown fuse or switch of some sort and not the fan it's self?

Expert:  Randy replied 2 years ago.
you will need a volt meter to test the fan and see if it is getting poweR. If you want to check the fuses and relays, you can switch the Cooling fan relay with a known good relay, for example the headlight relay, then check the fan operation. The fuse will be marked cooling fan. It will have a burned element in the center of the see through glass if it is bad.