Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

GM Silverado: I have a 1998 Chevy C1500 Silverado pickup with…

Customer Question
I have a 1998 Chevy...
I have a 1998 Chevy C1500 Silverado pickup with a 305 Vortec engine. It surges at 40-45 mph. the fuel system has been replaced SEVERAL times and it continues to do it. The fuel pressure is at 52-58#'s, at idle it's at 52. The fuel pump and the relay, regulator and filter have all been replaced 3 times (yes, they are GM parts.). Also, all sensors have been replaced multiple times and there is no vacuum leaks. It still does the surging and the power isn't where it should be for the size of the motor. I am stumped and so is every garage in town! What will cause the fuel pressure to be so low?!? What do I do to fix it?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/28/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 3 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Hello, I'm Chris. Thanks for seeking us for help.
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.
Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.
I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.
If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central.
Thanks Chris
YES! I still need help! I've also already had the transmission rebuilt, the timing done, the distributor and cap lined up. The injection wiring all checked out fine, but for some reason it is still doing it. What could it possibly be that I haven't already tried?!?
Hi
When you checked for vacuum leaks did you use a gauge to see if the vacuum was high or low or fluctuating at hit idle?
If you disable and block the EGR system does that help?
Did you check the fuel pressure during the surge?
Has a compression test been ran?
You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.
Thanks Chris
It's a brand new motor. The EGR system is gone, I took it off. The fuel pressure during the surge flutters between 52 and 55 during the surge. Compression test is being run now, but I doubt there's a problem because it is a new motor. By the way, it did it with the old motor too, so I know that's not it.