Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet 1500: 2000 chevrolet 1500 5.3 vortec engine brand…

Customer Question
2000 chevrolet 1500 5.3 vortec...
2000 chevrolet 1500 5.3 vortec engine brand new crank shaft position sensor just installed in it. tested wires for 12 v power, ground and crank signal. no crank signal no 12 v power but has good ground. my question is where is the 12 v power derived from. is it the pcm?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/27/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am sorry for the long wait
the green wire at the crank sensor should be 12 volts with the key ON
it does NOT show 12 volts at it with the key ON ?
No
and right at the PCM with the key ON no volts at the PCM for that green wire ?
if not can you be sure with the key ON if the fuses ECM1 and ECMB and IGN0 show 12 volts and those fuses are not blown
Checked and all have power and are not blown.
are there some procedures you can send me because I won't be able to look at the vehicle until the morning again. Or are we able to keep working on this in the morning etc.
if no fuses are blown disconnect the blue PCM connector
with the key ON see if terminals # ***** # ***** # ***** # ***** have 12 volts
if they do and your sure the green wire is good from the PCM to the crank sensor then the PCM is bad
cut and paste this link for the terminal locations on the PCM connector
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B44D0F00649BC959!1031&authkey=!AGyV4jhXzDMZ2S8&ithint=folder%2c
pin #19 has 12 v / pin #20 has none at all / pin #57 has none at all / pin # ***** has 12 v /probed the corresponding wire at the back of the connection to make sure and same results present.
ok pin 20 and 57 both get there power from the fuse called ECMB in the under hood fuse box with the key ON that fuse shows 12 volts on both sides of it testing it in place through the little openings in that fuse ?
Yes ECM has power at Fuse location.
ok the issue is those 2 wires at the PCM show no volts and both should be orange colored
they both run to that fuse to get the 12 volts
there has to be an issue under the fuse box with those 2 wires or along where they go to the PCM
follow those 2 orange wires and see if they are broken or there is an issue with them where they go into the fuse box
also where they connect into the fuse box see if there is 12 volts there if there is then it is 100 % those 2 wires and once 12 volts is back to those 2 orange wires the truck should be fine
if by a rare chance the terminal under the box for those 2 wires does NO show 12 volts but that fuse does show 12 volts then there is an internal circuit board failure inside the fuse box not allowing the 12 volts to get out that terminal to those 2 wires which the only fix for that is to replace the fuse box
again once power is back at those 2 orange wires this truck should run
Ok will let you know
sounds good
The whole time it was the prongs that grab the fuse. Once encouraging them to grab harder and alot of other things along the way. We now have it running. We couldn't have done it without you great info, great knowledge. Thank you for the help!
Is there a monthly subscription to just answer
anytime
there is a monthly subscription if you contact Justanswer
dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer !
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician