Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Chevrolet P30: I have a 1990 Chevy P30. Three times over

Customer Question

I have a 1990 Chevy P30. Three times over the past month the truck has lost all power while driving. When this happens, the engine cuts out, and nothing happens when I try the ignition, but the lights and electrical system still work. I first replaced the Fusable Link and that fixed the problem initially but now it has happened two more times. If I wait an hour or so after the truck has died, it than starts up again just fine. Any ideas?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 2 years ago.
Double check those fuse link wires at the starter first, if good, I would be willing to bet that is you take a hammer and hit the side of the starter when it wont start, that it will jar the brushes contact with the armature and make good contact. What happens is that the armature gets hot spots on it and if the brushes land on that spot it wont make contact. Heat plays into this because it creates even more resistance and thats why it acts up when hot, until the starter cools down from the engine cooling down.. Try that first and you will know for certain it needs a starter.
They more difficult way to test, if the hammer doesnt work, is to check for power at the purple wire on the starter. It has to be hot when someone is trying to start it. Thats the wire that kicks the solenoid in.
If there is power there, the starter for sure is bad.
LJ
If you are happy with my service please use the required rating for me to receive credit for working with you. If you have another question about this please let me know so l can continue to help you.