Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Classic LS: i had a short in wires…

Customer Question
i had a short in...
i had a short in wires on the drivers side of my 2007 chev 3500 duramax it smoked i took it apart and fixed it
now my air bag is saying service and my truck starts and dies after only a few seconds
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Chevy
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
(###) ###-####is my phone number
5/24/2015
Chevy Mechanic: BOBBYSS, Master Technician replied 3 years ago
BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Hello, my name is***** for the question. If I am not online when you return please give me some time to get back to you. Can you tell me which wires had shorted out. Was this the factory wiring harness?
It is a factory harness that shorted it controls the windows doors and drivers seats
Where did it short out? In the door or near the parking brake assembly?
Under the carpet next to the door
Im not sure where makes any barring on the fact it was a short I fixed that but now my security has my truck locked out and it runs for 3 seconds and shuts off
It depends on the wiring that shorted. It may have blown some fuses or it is possible that it sent a voltage spike through the body control module and it is now failing. Did you already check the fuses?
Yes I checked all fuses and changed a few
I said it was the wiring to the doors and windows and driver seat
Yes, but this wiring also travels to the body control module. Did you unhook the battery when you did the work?
Yes but the shorted wires smoked with the battery hooked up
Can you tell me how to unlock my security system cause that's the problem im having right now at this point
The truck starts then 3 seconds later it dies and the radio says the truck is locked
And my lock light comes on
Here is the reset procedure. If that does not work let me know. This will not unlock the radio though. You will need the unlock code for that.
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes , the telltale will turn OFF.
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes . The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
Important: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.
That did not work
Do you have a computer scan tool?
Got one from auto zone
I delete the error code
It showed ecm power error
Then tried what you told me to Do with no luck
It sounds like you may have an ECM failure. When you get a short like this it can cause the module to fail. If you have a voltage meter we can run a few tests to see what is going on.