GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Chevrolet Silverado 2500: I have 95 6.5 deisel it's hard starting

Customer Question

I have 95 6.5 deisel it's hard starting after sitting for a while especially over night has a new lift pump and injectors starts fine when used steady through out the day just when it's been sitting for a while
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !
I am very sorry for the long wait
how old are the glow plugs ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
im not sure but its very warm here at the moment and when i drive it during the day and i let it sit for say half hour or more it will have a hard time starting as if the fuel system bleed back or loss of fuel system pressure but when it starts runs great lots of power if i drive it then park it for 10 or 15 mins it fires right back up immediately but its when its been sittinh half hour or more it will crank over a good 10 seconds before starting and quite often stall out immediately after starting but then its good will fire up
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
when its hard starting if you pull off the fuel line into the injection pump will it have no fuel when cranking it over or a lot of air ?
are you sure the lift pump is operating when it will not start ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
i will have to check that
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
find out and let me know
if that lift pump is NOT running when its acting up then we can go after why the lift pumps not running
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok it will be sometime today let you know
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
sounds good
if the lift pump is NOT running when cranking it over see if you put your fingers on the fuel pump relay in the underhood fuse box if you feel that relay click when you start cranking the engine over
that relay should click or turn on when cranking it over