Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Silverado 1500: I have a 2007 Silverado new style.

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Silverado...
I have a 2007 Silverado new style. When I start my truck it works but all of a sudden it dings and the radio turns off along with all the dash Gage's stop working. Information center says check abs,air bag, and***** It also displays "-" for miles left on tank. I'm stuck no check engine light so no scanner codes available.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Chevy
5/17/2015
Chevy Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician replied 2 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
I am sorry to hear about this Issue. I have a couple questions first.
Do you have anything aftermarket installed like a stereo or remote starter?
Does it ever show these messages while driving?
My name is ***** ***** no after market items all stock. Once it happens it displays that. You can drive the truck but it will not display what gear your in.
Ok Rob, there is a bulletin that may help us find the issue. It is a detailed bulletin outlining some common spots the data line gets pinched. Thats what I think has happened, the low speed data line is compromised. This is a green wire that is a star type network. Some of the issues in the bulletin may not apply to your truck fully because I think you have the 4 speed transmission not the 6, but in general it talks about spots to check. We need to be thorough when looking and complete all the steps as and if they apply to yours. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/22552935/NEtwork%20document.pdf
That is a link to the file, it may take a couple minutes to upload to the dropbox.
Ok now that I think about it seams it would happen if I hit the brake pedal. It's very intermittent. It would even come back on or "flicker" based off the radio
Ok, that helps. Start your search around the brake pedal and especially around the back of the parking brake area. There are times the main harness chaffs there.
Ok will try that when I get back to my truck. I un hooked my battery to reset the computer while I'm at a BBQ.
Sounds good. enjoy the food.
Ok so yes the network is down when this happens, or part of it. the signals and such are controlled through the Body Control Module (BCM) which also controls the locks and such.
Now I do thin there will be codes, but not codes a simple scanner can read. You need to use a full scan tool for this. A scan tool is very different than a code reader. Scan tools are larger, can scan and control certain systems of the whole vehicle, and usually cost about 2000+. A code reader will only read emission related codes and that limits them to reading the engine and transmission modules. Given the cost of the scan tools, it is usually cheaper to get a shop to read the codes. If they are honest, I would imagine that $20 is fair to stick the machine on and read codes.
Will that scan tool tell me or mechanics how to fix it?
Like the check engine light codes, it will tell me if there are any codes in ANY of the modules. Specifically I am hoping to see a handful of modules give the same code which is that they lost communications with the Body Control Module (BCM). IF that is the case then it does narrow this down.
As it stands at the moment I would still go through that document I posted before regarding the network wiring and fuse blocks first. This could be only a simple connection issue. Also a good visual inspection around the Body Control Module (BCM) which is above and to the left of the brake pedal is in order. A loose inaction or chaffed wire into it can cause this.
IF nothing else then I am suspecting the Body Control Module (BCM) as being faulty.
So I went after work to leave now the truck won't start at all plenty of power in battery
What does the display show? Check engine light? Security warning?
Does the reset change it at all?
So that's the data network again. What ever the issue is, it's become worse. The security is operated by the theft module around the ignition cylinder and from there the information is sent on the data network. With the network down it won't get the OK TO START message. Really need codes to see.
I'll have to get it dragged to a dealer or something
Well, on the plus side its acting up so they should be able to find the issue in short order. Please let me know what they find.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician