GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I replaced ignition switch on a 2001 impala ...I tried the

Customer Question

I replaced ignition switch on a 2001 impala ...I tried the turn it off and on for thirty minutes deal and it didn't work ....what now?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Can you give me some back story ? Do you have the flashing theft light when cranking ? When you try to relearn you have to leave the key on for a little over ten minutes and then turn off and back on for another ten minutes. Then off then back on for another ten. Then off then try to start. I always set a timer for 13 minutes to make sure I am over the ten minute mark. Is this what you did ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I did all that and more.....does not crank. Flashing light all the time as well. Ten plus minutes each time and went for the thirty minute re teach and so on . I have watched more youtube movies on this than carter has pills!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Lol. Your a trip. Ok. Well. Is the "crank" fuse ok?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok wait. Let's backtrack. The theft light will just kill fuel. Not the starter. So your telling me when you turn the key the starter does not engage the engine and crank the engine ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yep... no starty no nothing...will check fuse however.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The switch would move into the crank position before I changed it. And start, but switch was bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I even tried removing the fuse to the radio....same stuff.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse is good!
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Ok tell me why old switch was bad. Why did you change the switch. I need all the details. And tell me what new parts you installed.