Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Dave. I have a chevy 2500 express van and have an issue

Hi Dave. I have a...
Hi Dave. I have a chevy 2500 express van and have an issue with the right rear tailight. All bulbs good. Brake, back-up and signal work. Running light (dim) does not. Any ideas?
4/8/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Thomas, Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Chevy Technician
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today. What year is your van?
2009
The problem has to be in the bulb socket. The turn signal bulb and parking lamp share a ground. So it can't bad ground connection. Inspect the socket good is you see any corrosion clean it good and try it again. Otherwise get you a new socket.
I will try. I did disconnect the harness (male/female) just inside the door which then is a short jump to the exterior socket, turned on the headlights (left side parking lamp came on) and touched my circuit tester to each of the four wires showing no current. I have yet to do the same on the working bulb to see which wire (I believe brown) powers for parking light. If I show power on the working and none on the other - where could I check up front to see if power is going through after I test wire resistance (ie: no broken wire - though unlikely). The harness is hard to trace all the way to the front.. Any thoughts would be great!And you're right - it probably is the socket (makes sense). Just want to have a back up before I battle the darkness and rain. Don't need to get pulled over..
Ok Its a brown wire that we need to look at. If you have low voltage at the connector to the taillight the problem is gonna be in the wire from the front to the rear or in the fuse box. It's also a brown wire on the working side. If all else fails you could run a wire from the working side to the nonworking side. Rather than follow the wire all the way to the front.
That's PERFECT! Thank You VERY Much, Thomas. High reviews from me!
Good! Thank you
Thomas
Thomas, Chevy Technician