Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LT: OBD11 reads p0327, bank 1, the…

OBD11 reads p0327, bank 1...
OBD11 reads p0327, bank 1, the bank 1 and 2 sensors read 100k ohms and no voltage on the wire leads to the sensors. The engine runs perfectly with no problems other than the check engine lamp stays on. What is the next step?
Thanks in advance,
Will
4/7/2015
Chevy Mechanic: Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER replied 7 years ago
Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
This is a very common issue on these trucks. The problem is the knock sensors are located in a well under the intake. The sensors have rubber plugs over them to keep water out of the well area. When the plugs get old, they no longer seal and water gets in to the wells and the sensors get rusted up. To repair this issue, you need to remove the intake, replace both knock sensors and the short wiring harness going to the sensors. The harness have the rubber plugs and should be replaced. GM also recommends you use engine sealant around the plugs to make the repair last longer. I would recommend using GM parts, have seen a few after market sensors still cause a problem. Your local Chevy sealer will have the sensors and harness for this repair, you also need a set of intake gaskets.
The process you suggested was completed as you suggested, no change in any value, next suggestion?
Ok not sure whats going on so I will release the question back to the other experts.
Chevy Mechanic: Thomas, Chevy Technician replied 7 years ago
Thomas
Thomas, Chevy Technician
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I will do my best to help you fix your automotive problem today. So you replaced the knock sensors and harnesses and you still have the problem?
An mail reply is just fineDo you need me to recap the process or do you have access to the previous emails?
I am sorry I can not see them. I can only see this thread.
You should be able to replace the front knock sensor and fix your problem.
OBD11 reads p0327, bank 1, the bank 1 and 2 sensors read 100k ohms and no voltage on the wire leads to the sensors from the ECM. The engine runs perfectly with no problems other than the check engine lamp stays on. OEM sensors and a OEM short wiring harness was replaced and resealed per factory recommendations.No values changed after the repair.
Here is the pinpoint for the code you have it sounds like you have a bad ECM (engine control module).
Did you perform the Diagnostic System Check – Vehicle?

Go to Step 2
Go to Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle
2
Important: If an engine knock can be heard, repair the engine mechanical condition before proceeding with this diagnostic.
1. Observe the Freeze Frame/Failure Records for this DTC.
2. Turn OFF the ignition for 30 seconds.
3. Start the engine.
4. Operate the engine within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

Go to Step 3
Go to Diagnostic Aids
3
1. Turn OFF the ignition.
2. Remove the intake manifold sight shield. Refer to Upper Intake Manifold Sight Shield Replacement.
3. Disconnect the knock sensor (KS) inline harness connector.
4. Measure the resistance from the signal circuit of the affected KS to ground with a DMM. Refer to Inline Harness Connector End Views.
Is the resistance of the KS within the specified range?
93K–107K Ω
Go to Step 4
Go to Step 6
4
Important: Do not tap on any plastic engine components.
1. Ignition OFF, DMM still connected from previous step.
2. Set the DMM to the 400 V AC scale. Select the Hz mode. Let the reading stabilize at 0 Hz.
3. Tap on the engine block near the affected KS while observing the DMM.
Does the DMM display a fluctuating frequency while tapping on the engine block near the KS?

Go to Step 5
Go to Step 6
5
1. Ignition OFF, connect jumper wires as follows:
◦From the KS1 jumper harness signal circuit to the KS2 signal circuit terminal of the engine harness
◦From the KS2 jumper harness signal circuit to the KS1 signal circuit terminal of the engine harness
Refer to Inline Harness Connector End Views.
2. Monitor the DTCs using a scan tool.
3. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC.
Does the fault follow the KS in question?

Go to Step 6
Go to Step 7
6
1. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to Intake Manifold Replacement.
2. Verify that the affected KS is properly tightened. Refer to Fastener Tightening Specifications.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 8
7
Test the affected KS signal circuit between the powertrain control module (PCM) and the KS inline harness connector for the following conditions:
•An open or a high resistance
•A short to voltage
•A short to ground
Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 10
8
Test the affected signal circuit between the KS inline harness connector and the affected KS connector for an open, high resistance or short to ground. Refer to Circuit Testing and Wiring Repairs.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 9
9
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the affected KS. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 12
10
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the KS inline harness connector. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 11
11
Test for an intermittent and for a poor connection at the PCM. Refer to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections and Connector Repairs.
Did you find and correct the condition?

Go to Step 14
Go to Step 13
12
Replace the affected knock sensor. Refer to Knock Sensor Replacement.
Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 14

13
Replace the PCM. Refer to Control Module References for replacement, setup, and programming.
Did you complete the replacement?

Go to Step 14

14
1. Clear the DTCs with a scan tool.
3. Start the engine.
4. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC as specified in the supporting text. You may also operate the vehicle within the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.
Did the DTC fail this ignition?

Go to Step 2
Go to Step 15
15
Observe the Capture Info with a scan tool.
Are there any DTCs that have not been diagnosed?
Thank you for the trouble tree, I performed all the steps, it points to the PCM...unless you have an other possibility?
No I don't have any other ideas. I think you need another PCM also.
Thomas
Thomas, Chevy Technician
Thanks I was afraid of that