Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevrolet pick up: I have a 2010 chevy silverodo that displayes…

I have a 2010 chevy...
I have a 2010 chevy silverodo that displayes three codes ($7EA, $7E8 and $7EB) I cleared the codes and the light stays off untill I use the remote start. then the engine starts and quits after about 30 sec. The check engine light comes back on with the same codes.
3/4/2015
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Hello, I'm Cam.
Can I get your first name please?
Sorry to hear about this issue, I will help you solve this.
What is the letter in front of the code? P, C, D, U?
$
Dan, what are you using for a schedule?
The codes from the GM system will be five characters long and start with one of the four letters I mentioned.
My scan tool only comes up with codes $7EA, $7E8 and $7EB
I'm sorry, those don't correspond to any of the manufacturer codes. Do they offer any descriptions? Even a vague description may help.
I can check, but the vehicle is not here to scan again at this time. The vehicle runs fine, but after using the remote start, the check engine light come on and the remote will no longer operate. It is a factory installed remote start. I have googled the codes and indications are a cat problem or running lean.
That's rather interesting, lean running condition is P0171 or P0174. What brand of scanner are you using?
CEN-TECH
Okay, I can't seem to find a reference chart between that brand and the GM codes. Would it be possible to get your truck scanned at the local parts store? Most of the time they will do this for free. With the factory codes I can figure out what's happening and help you fix it.
$7E8 and/or $7EA Trouble Codes - Chevy HHR Network
www.chevyhhr.net/forums/...42/$7e8-$7ea-trouble-codes-41037/What do the codes $7EA and $7E8 mean on a 2007 Chevrolet - Fixya
www.fixya.com/.../t25016695-codes_7ea_7e8_mean_2007_chevroletThese are from goolgle page
I checked my tool for the coded and each of them discribe the issue as (Modules Present) with a protocol of (CAN STD FAST)I will get the vehicle scaned at a local parts store and get back to you with the info as soon as I can. However the vehicle is not availabe untill tommorow.
I have found the page, but again the format of the code does not match anything to manufacturer uses. By law, the GM and every other manufacture code based on the OBD two system which is a five character code.I understand perhaps this is leading to a catalytic converter or system lien issue based on other web searches, but it doesn't make sense why it sets after using the remote starter and not while driving.
I will definitely watch for your reply tomorrow. Have a good evening.
you too
Thanks.
Hi Cam, I had the vehicle scanned at a auto parts store and they came up with (P0449) Definition, Evap purge / vent solenoid circuit condition, open or short. The vehicle ran fine with no light, until the remote start was acctivated early this morning. The vehicle started with the remote start and ran for about 30 sec and then quit. Upon starting the vehicle with the key, it was observed that the check engine light was on. I did not scan the vehicle with my scan tool, so I don't know if the $7EA or the others came up again. I just instructed the owner to take it and have it scanned at Autozone.
Okay, remote starter is designed to cut out if there's any faults. This code is very specific to the vent solenoid in the rear. Almost always you will find the solenoid itself to be shorted internally. My suggestion is to measure the resistance across the pens of the bad solenoid in the rear. If it is shorted then replace it. If not, see if the pink wire has power all the time with the key on. If you find power at the rear of the solenoid is good, then you need to trace that wire back up to the engine control module and find a short or open circuit.
The vehicle belongs to my son inlaw and I don't have acess to it very often, however I should be able to get it this weekend. Can you tell me the location of the solenoid in the rear and if I understand correctly, the pink wire should have power at all times with key on and if it does, then the other wire is open or shorted. Right. I still truley believe that this problem is related to the factory remote start, due to the fact that there was no problem untill it was being used, and the light does not come on until the remote start is acctivated.
The factory remote start would not isolate that system individually, it will however shut the starter on what it does fail. Also that code maybe set in history and that's worth looking. The solenoid is mounted to the rear of the fuel tank.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Thanks
I'll keep you informed.
Have a great evening.
Dan (Baffled)
You as well. Thanks.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician