Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have almost removed an ecotec 1.6l from my 09 aveo. i'm…

I have almost removed an...
I have almost removed an ecotec 1.6l from my 09 aveo. i'm stuck at how to separate the transaxle from the engine without removing the entire unit. i'd like to just replace the engine with the transaxle in place.I have removed all the bolts and the transaxle will separateslightly. Then irealized there must be bolts holding the transaxle's bell housing to the engine. i found the inspection cover 1.5" plug below the starter. I can see a hex bolt through the hole but its not reachable. I believe i need to turn the engine until i find the three bolts that line up with the inspection cover? Or is there another way?
10/25/2014
Chevy Mechanic: cartech, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
The torque converter bolts to remove them you will need to turn the engine over until each lines up one at a time in the inspection area so you can access to remove them

I suspect that when installing the new engine reattaching is done in the oppopsite manner or is it easier to attach the bell housing to the engine and then slide the bell housing attached to the engine into the transxle. It seems there wouldn't be enough room to do that.

But once the engine is in, the threaded hole on the bellhousing will need to line up with the bolt hole on the ring gear. Then i will need to reattach the engine and transaxle and then continue to crank the engine until i can reattach the other two bolts in the bell housing(3 total), through the same hole by the starter.

you will need to as you say leave the starter area so you can turn the motor over to install those bolts one at a time this is the only way and time consuming you have to leave the bolts slightly loose until all are in the tighten them down one at a time
cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician