Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet: Hey, I just found out brake lines 2 that run from

Hey, I just found...
Hey, I just found out brake lines 2 that run from junction box going together by the front drivers tire and up are broke. I have to replace these lines. Im worried about bleeding them. There are only two together I assume they are heading to reservoir up top. Any tricks for bleeding and how do I go about this? vin 1gbjk34133e207822 2003 duramax diesel Silverado 3500 cab and chassis.
11/12/2013
Tim's Auto Repair

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

i will give you two ways of bleeding the brakes..manual and pressure

thanks

Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Manual)
.
Note: When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only Delco Supreme 11r, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid, may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.

1. Place a clean shop cloth beneath the brake master cylinder to prevent brake fluid spills.
2. With the ignition OFF and the brakes cool, apply the brakes 3-5 times, or until the brake pedal effort increases significantly, in order to deplete the brake booster power reserve.
3. If you have performed a brake master cylinder bench bleeding on this vehicle, or if you disconnected the brake pipes from the master cylinder, you must perform the following steps:

3.1. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir is full to the maximum-fill level. If necessary add Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. If removal of the reservoir cap and diaphragm is necessary, clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the cap prior to removal.
3.2. With the rear brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder, loosen and separate the front brake pipe from the front port of the brake master cylinder.
3.3. Allow a small amount of brake fluid to gravity bleed from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.4. Reconnect the brake pipe to the master cylinder port and tighten securely.
3.5. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
3.6. Loosen the same brake pipe to purge air from the open port of the master cylinder.
3.7. Tighten the brake pipe, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
3.8. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 3.3-3.7 until all air is purged from the same port of the master cylinder.
3.9. With the front brake pipe installed securely to the master cylinder - after all air has been purged from the front port of the master cylinder - loosen and separate the rear brake pipe from the master cylinder, then repeat steps 3.3-3.8.
3.10. After completing the final master cylinder port bleeding procedure, ensure that both of the brake pipe-to-master cylinder fittings are properly tightened.

4. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Ensure that the brake master cylinder reservoir remains at least half-full during this bleeding procedure. Add fluid as needed to maintain the proper level. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.
5. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
6. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
7. Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
8. Have an assistant slowly depress the brake pedal fully and maintain steady pressure on the pedal.
9. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit.
10. Tighten the bleeder valve, then have the assistant slowly release the brake pedal.
11. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 8-10 until all air is purged from the same wheel hydraulic circuit.
12. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
13. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
14. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
15. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
16. With the right front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right front hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
17. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 7-11.
18. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
19. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
20. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
21. If the brake pedal feels spongy, repeat the bleeding procedure again. If the brake pedal still feels spongy after repeating the bleeding procedure, perform the following steps:

21.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak Inspection .
21.2. Pressure bleed the hydraulic brake system in order to purge any air that may still be trapped in the system.

22. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.

Important: If the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated, DO NOT allow the vehicle to be driven until it is diagnosed and repaired.

.

Hydraulic Brake System Bleeding (Pressure)
.
Tools Required

- J 29532 ................ Diaphragm Type Brake Pressure Bleeder, or equivalent
- J 35589-A .................................... Brake Pressure Bleeder Adapter

Caution: Refer to Brake Fluid Irritant Caution in Cautions and Notices.

Note: Refer to Brake Fluid Effects on Paint and Electrical Components Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Note: When adding fluid to the brake master cylinder reservoir, use only Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. The use of any type of fluid other than the recommended type of brake fluid, may cause contamination which could result in damage to the internal rubber seals and/or rubber linings of hydraulic brake system components.

4. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container. Clean the outside of the reservoir on and around the reservoir cap prior to removing the cap and diaphragm.
5. Install the J 35589-A to the brake master cylinder reservoir.
6. Check the brake fluid level in the J 29532 , or equivalent. Add Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container as necessary to bring the level to approximately the half-full point.
7. Connect the J 29532 , or equivalent, to the J 35589-A .
8. Charge the J 29532 , or equivalent, air tank to 175-205 kPa (25-30 psi).
9. Open the J 29532 , or equivalent, fluid tank valve to allow pressurized brake fluid to enter the brake system.
10. Wait approximately 30 seconds, then inspect the entire hydraulic brake system in order to ensure that there are no existing external brake fluid leaks. Any brake fluid leaks identified require repair prior to completing this procedure.
11. Install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
12. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve.
13. Submerge the open end of the transparent hose into a transparent container partially filled with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
14. Loosen the bleeder valve to purge air from the wheel hydraulic circuit. Allow fluid to flow until air bubbles stop flowing from the bleeder, then tighten the bleeder valve.
15. With the right rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT REAR wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
16. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 13-14.
17. With the left rear wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the left rear hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the RIGHT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
18. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 13-14.
19. With the right front wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve tightened securely - after all air has been purged from the right front hydraulic circuit - install a proper box-end wrench onto the LEFT FRONT wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valve.
20. Install a transparent hose over the end of the bleeder valve, then repeat steps 13-14.
21. After completing the final wheel hydraulic circuit bleeding procedure, ensure that each of the 4 wheel hydraulic circuit bleeder valves are properly tightened.
22. Close the J 29532 , or equivalent, fluid tank valve, then disconnect the J 29532 , or equivalent, from the J 35589-A .
23. Remove the J 35589-A from the brake master cylinder reservoir.
24. Fill the brake master cylinder reservoir to the maximum-fill level with Delco Supreme 11, GM P/N 12377967 (Canadian P/N 992667), or equivalent DOT-3 brake fluid from a clean, sealed brake fluid container.
25. Slowly depress and release the brake pedal. Observe the feel of the brake pedal.
26. If the brake pedal feels spongy perform the following steps:

26.1. Inspect the brake system for external leaks. Refer to Brake System External Leak Inspection .
26.2. Using a scan tool, perform the antilock brake system automated bleeding procedure to remove any air that may have been trapped in the BPMV. Refer to ABS Automated Bleed Procedure in Antilock Brake System.

27. Turn the ignition key ON, with the engine OFF. Check to see if the brake system warning lamp remains illuminated.

.

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic