Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet corvette stingray crossover: I have a 82 corvette

I have a 82 corvette...
I have a 82 corvette stingray and need to replace the speedometer is there and easy to get to the cable ends, I have tried but my hands a large.
11/12/2013
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

are you reaching up from behind under the drivers side of the dash to release it ?

or the cluster is loose and pulled back enough to get your hand behind the cluster to release it ?

The speedometer is in 2 parts my problem is from the trany into the little box before it goes into the dash.

where is this little box?

im showing this cable one shot from the transmission to the back of the dash cluster

By the left fender

ok the cable will not unscrew off of it from the transmission side ?

does it look something like this even if its black colored ?

SPEEDOMETER GEAR REDUCER STEWART WARNER SS454 LS6 Z28 CHEVELLE LS5 396

First off I told you it was a corvette crossover I mean crossfire. Yes that is similar. The cable will unscrew from the trany but it is real tight.

Ok a lot of times they are corroded and are very hard to unscrew off usually using a pair of slip channel like pliers to grab the outer ring will unscrew it off

also at one time someone could have cross threaded the threads which would make it very hard to come off

using some WD40 or spray lube and working it with channel lock slip pliers will un screw it off

once both ends are unscrewed the cable should pop right off

before you install the new cable get a good look at the threads and make sure they are NOT cross threaded if they are the cross threaded parts will have to be replaced

OK but everything is so tight in there I can't get a pliers in there and if I have to replace it how do I get it off?

you cant angle in a pair of slip channel lock pliers on it ?

now just to be sure the cable end on the box is the issue getting off ? or at the transmission ?

Ok if we find that it has been cross threaded how do we get the little gray box off.

it should unbolt out of that area

is this what it looks like here ?

the picture will not enlarge so I can not get a good look at it

Kathy if that is cross threaded it will need to be changed it is called Vehicle Speed Sensor/Transducer for the Cruise Control

OK do I need to take it to someone because we can not get tools and hands in there to remove it.

Kathy if you can get it loose any shop will loosen it for you very cheap
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician