Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

rough idle after head gasket was replaced

3 weeks ago the cylinder...

3 weeks ago the cylinder head gasket was replaced in this vehicle by a mechanic at the cost of 1700$. now the truck has an idling problem that didnt exist before the head gasket repair. quite often the truck will not return to idle rpm's after it into neutral. rather the trucks idle sits at between 1500 and 2000 rpm's. sometime a quick rev of the engine helps return the idle to 1000 rpm's but most of the time the only thing that helps is to turn the truck off then back on...1997 chevy s10 2.2L 4 cyl manual transmission, 160,000 miles

10/14/2013
Car_Guy_1
Car_Guy_1, Chevy Owner
Hello and thank you for using Justanswer.com

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you today. My first thought is that you should take the vehicle back to the mechanic that did you engine repair. It is his/her responsibility to ensure the car leaves running better than when it came in. They should not charge you to repair an issue they caused.

That being said, it sounds like you have a vacuum leak. These are common after major engine work and are usually a hose that was left off, or cracked during disassembly/re-assembly. If you do not want to, or cant take it back to the mechanic that did your work that is what you should start looking for. Easiest way to start looking is to pop the hood with the engine running and listen for a suction sound. You can also visually look for broken/ disconnected hoses.

Thanks,
Dave
Car_Guy_1
Car_Guy_1, Chevy Owner
Car_Guy_1
Car_Guy_1
Car_Guy_1, Chevy Owner