Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx: 05 Malibu max dash got wet. now security

05 Malibu max dash got...
05 Malibu max dash got wet. now security light is on, radio says locked. vehicle wont crank
7/24/2013
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Was anything checked or tested for this issue like fault codes checked,etc.?

How wet did the dash get and did anything else get wet?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.
Sunroof was left open and it stormed last night. When you turn key to start, security icon lights and no crank. I have been drying it out with high power fans. Steering wheel was pretty wet and vents above radio were wet toi
O.k.,what may have occurred here as I have seen in the past is the BCM (body control module) may have become wet and damaged internally.When this occurs it will cause these symptoms here and usually needs replaced to correct it.This BCM is located under the dash/center console to the passenger side of the dash and shifter assembly.In some cases it may dry out and operate again and in others I have had to replace it.

If it doesn't operate after allowing the vehicle to sit and dry I suspect it would need replaced.When it is replaced the new one would need set up and programmed by a dealer with their scan tool and GM computer in order to operate properly.

There is a security relearn you can try and see if it operates or starts then.If it does the dealer would still need to recalibrate the radio to get it to operate as well using their computer and scan tool.Here is the relearn you can try,make sure you follow it exactly with a fully charged battery.If you miss a step you wold need to start over.If this does not work most likely the BCM would need replaced:

1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.
5. With your key, start the vehicle.If this worked the vehicle should now start and run.

Thanks Pete

HERE
is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).
Pete, Auto Service Technician
How much is a BCM installed. Can I buy one and just pay dealer to program? Is there a chance that contacts are wet and it may work again? Can you tell me how to get to it?
The cost I show for this is around $300 for the BCM and 1 hour labor to install so it shouldn't be more then $500 to $600 installed and programmed.If you order and install it yourself your vehicle wont run until it is programmed by a dealer so it would need to be installed by them or installed then towed to them.

There is a chance it is wet and may dry out but usually once water hits electronics it either damaged them or eventually builds up green corrosion inside of them causing issues requiring replacement.

Here is the procedure I have located on accessing it:

REMOVAL PROCEDURE
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the right console trim panel.
3. Remove the body control module (BCM) screws.
4. Remove the BCM wire harness connectors.

graphic

5. Remove the BCM.

The BCM is located under the center console on the passenger side.

Thanks Pete
Salvage yard has bcm modules for $45. If numbers match, will I still need dealer programming?
Unfortunately a used one cannot be installed as when a BCM is installed the VIN number is XXXXX up in the BCM as well as some other options by a dealer and when this is done it locks the BCM to that vehicle only.I was told recently some of the newer vehicles BCM's can be reprogrammed but in this year they cannot,unfortunately it has to be a new BCM.

You might check with local parts stores as well as I have heard some can order a BCM in pre programmed ready to install and you would be able to skip the dealer in this case.

Thanks Pete
After blowing air into car for 8 hours, I connected battery and it started! The radio still shows locked and the idiot light with a padlock and car is lit. I will try the procedure you sent...
O.k.,let me know how it turns out.The procedure wont unlock the radio though,it is only to start the vehicle and if it started then the procedure shouldn't have to be done.The radio will need unlocked by a dealer.

Thanks Pete
Thanks. You have been great
Your welcome,let me know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Car did not start this morning. Your help was great, but looks like I am dealer bound.....
This still sounds like a BCM fault here but its difficult to say for sure without seeing the vehicle to check it.I hope you can get this resolved with ease and if you need anything else let me know.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician