BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Chevrolet Corvette LT4: suddenly after a few good rips in a

suddenly after a few good rips in a row using my manual shifter - my vette with 20000 kms has a very high pitched whine/scream coming from under the car - its like a high frequency electronic scream - this kind of sound really gets your attention - it is a lot louder or pronounced when I raise the roof - the sound increases and decreases somewhat with rpm  but always remainsd at a very high frequency  the car seems to be working fine, no oil or drips on the driveway -  2011 GS Convertible, Automatic, w/20000kms

BOBBYSS :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Does the noise change when you apply the clutch?

Customer:

2011 GS Convertible, Automatic, paddle shifter, w/20000kms

BOBBYSS :

Thank you. Is the noise still there after the vehicle is turned off and restarted?

Customer:

the noise is not there once the engine is turned off or if the power supply to the vehicle is left on. It is only there once the enigne is started and also regardless of the gear it is in.

BOBBYSS :

One last question. So now after driving it the way that you did it is there anytime the vehicle is running?

Customer:

sorry - i dont understand your question. however the noise is always there when the engine is running either stopped or driving.

Customer:

.... sometimes the nosie starts after the car has "warmed up" - say 10 minutes after starting - but most of the time the noise begins immediately

BOBBYSS :

Thank you for that information. The vehicle needs to be put into the air to check for the noise. With the vehicle running the noise needs to be checked first at the front of the transmission. It is common for the front pump in the transmission to fail and cause this. I would also have the exhaust checked as a failed catalytic converter can cause this. Is the vehicle still under warranty?

Customer:

yes

BOBBYSS :

You need to get the vehicle there as soon as you can. I would have it towed if the dealer is far because if the pump has failed it can cause some serious transmission failure.

Customer:

ok - the dealer has already included this problem as an issue but with no rememdy - 2 weeks ago. thnak you