Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevrolet Chevy blazer: A ticking or small knocking sound in

A ticking or small knocking...
A ticking or small knocking sound in the engine only after it warms up. I hear nothing when the engine is cold. I did dis-connect the spark plug wire 1 at a time, but the sound never stopped. What could this be?
2001 Chevy Blazer
4.3 V6 Vortec
130,000 miles
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2013
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Have you ever heard a lifter tick noise before and if so does this noise sound like a lister tick type of noise or a noise that is more towards the top of the engine?

Is this a tick tick type noise like two small rocks smacking together or a knock type of noise?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

I never heard a lifter knock

It does sound like 2 rocks smashing together. I does sound like its more toward the top of the engine.

It does knock faster as you rev the engine, but doesnt bog down.

O.k.,this to me from here sounds like the common lifter tick noise which will increase in speed rapidly as the engine is revved up more.This can be a common fault as I have run into in the past and the correction was to replace the lifters for this issue here.

It may only be one or two lifters that are not keeping oil pressure pumped into them when warmed up but it is best when replacing any to replace all of the lifters and have the camshaft lobes inspected to make sure there is no damage to them.

The cost for this can run around $50 each which you would have 12 of these and about 6 hours labor to have replaced.As long as the vehicle is running o.k. and the noise isn't getting any louder it may be o.k. to drive this a short period before having to replace them.

Thanks Pete

HERE
is my profile if you need anything in the future on your vehicle here,you can save it to your favorites and come back if you have any future questions on your vehicle (besides this question here).
Pete, Auto Service Technician

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician