Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

GM corvette: hi, my new ac compressor on the corvette c6 starts

hi, my new ac compressor...
hi, my new ac compressor on the corvette c6 starts making noises hen the ac is set on.
if i put the ac off ther is no strange noise.

Can it be the bearing or is my brand new compessor broken again
6/13/2013
Pete, Auto Service Technician
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be glad to try and assist you with this.I may need more info in some cases to help with answering your question.

Did the old compressor start to fail mechanically and if so was the ac system cleaned free of any metal in it with an ac flush kit at all?

Was oil put in the new compressor before installing and running it?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

the last compressor was (according to the AC specialist) broken and is replaced by a new one, filled with th right amount of oil. the new compressor is complete with clutch, the AC shop today told me agai that the whole system was cleaned very well. (lot s of worK9 and he knows that rests of met could damage the new compressor. I am afraid the will let me pay again.

O.k.,if all of the metal was not removed from the ac system there may have been a piece that came free from the ac lines and got sucked into the compressor as this is very common when all of the metal is not cleaned out.

Since it was cleaned out and the compressor was installed by an ac specialist like this here this sounds to be the compressor itself at fault internally most likely with a bearing or other internal mechanical fault.

If you just had this replaced in the last year or so this should be replaced and covered under parts warranty at no cost to you.Since it is noisy it does need replaced,in some cases a special oil can be added to the ac system that helps quiet the compressor but the compressor shouldn't be noisy regardless,it does sound like it needs replaced and should be at no cost to you.

Thanks Pete

last question. The repair was last month and the charged me about

$ 600 for complete cleaning, filling and mounting the new compressor.

They told me it was a lot of work, especially becauce its a corvette and it was hard to get to the compressor (situated down under)

How much time will it normally take for a specialist ??

Labor cost to just replace the compressor is 5.1 hours,most shops are around $100 per hour so labor alone to just replace the compressor,refill the ac system should run around $500 to $600,this doesn't include cleaning the ac system which is required.It should take around 5 hours to replace the compressor and about another 1 to 2 hours to clean the ac system.This doesn't include the cost of the compressor itself and in this case should be free of charge to you since it would be under parts warranty.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete

Today i got an answer on the ac compressor. Its a complet rebuild OEM compressor and not a brandnew. Now I get a refund on that compressor

and like tot order a brandnew one in the USA. I looked for a delphi costs about $ 300. Would that be ok or do i also have tot install a new condensor.

The man from the AC told me the system is clean and that that cannot be the cause of the failure. What do you think. Het tested the incoming tube temparature end the outgooing. That was ok . If the system was not clean he said the coolin would not work like it does now.

If the system was/is clean then this was just premature failure of the compressor itself to where it was noisy internally.The line temperature doesn't necessarily indicate the system is totally clean,if there was even very small particles in the ac lines this will allow the ac to operate but if these particles make it to the compressor they damage it internally and cause this here.

I would go with the new Delphi compressor as long as it is the correct fit and part number for your vehicle here.

Thanks Pete

thanks a lot, i will try to get the right part.

If i select;

corvette base coupe

2005

LS 2 engine ther want be a problem do you think

I would go with the year and model of the vehicle and if it asks engine size make sure you have input the correct engine size.

thanks that will help.

i going to buy an AC compressor again.

any suggestions for a cheap reliable company or do i overask you

Do you mean someone that would install the new compressor?

No, I have seen many suppliers of AC compressors in the USA delevering to Europe. For example: Rockauto. Can you advise met a good and reliable supplie for overseas deliverance

I use Rock Auto myself but I don't know if they will deliver over sea or not but they are a reliable company.

Ok they do, so i order at Rock Auto.

Thanks a lot for helping me,

I will give a very positive feed back

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Auto Service Technician