Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Chevy Tahoe: I have an 05 tahoe and While I was at a drive

I have an 05 tahoe...
I have an 05 tahoe and While I was at a drive through I heard my fans going and looked at gauge and it was Almost pegged, so I pulled over and carefully released the pressure from the overflow. Once the pressure was gone I checked the fluid level and it was fine and en I started it again the temp was I little above where it usually is. As I drove down the road it varied between hot and not. So I thought it might be thermostat since usually if its a pump it makes a racket and drains like a sive. Got home switched thermostat and to no avail, still overheating. As it gets hot it seams to sit there and boil in reservoir . With heater on ,I get only cool air. Could it be my heater core( hopefully not $$$$$$$). Please advise
6/4/2013
indy-tech
Hi .

I suggest you have a Combustion leak test done to confirm that you don't have a bad headgasket , as this is what it sounds like , unless the cooling fans are not working fully .

But if driving down the road does not cool the engine down and still boils over then this could well be a blown headgasket .

Click here to see what to do .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg
indy-tech
I did the first test of squeezing the top hose and there wasn't any pressure
Hi Gary

Okay then just remove the radiator cap and have it tested, you could well have just a bad radiator cap , this will explain the water /coolant being pushed out into the reservoir .

Do this first . if cap is good do the test is said , if the water is boiling in the reservoir .
there must be some pressure .

Greg
indy-tech
indy-tech
indy-tech